Structural Engineering Manager
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Structural Engineering Manager is to lead the structural engineering team. Duties include managing department, responsible for reviewing and approving proposals, change orders, pay estimates and schedules, maintaining project budgets, and supervising quality control procedures. They will be responsible for preparing designs and ensuring the development and delivery of successful structural projects such as highway and railway bridges and other transportation structures.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manages the resources of the department to ensure projects are completed accurately and within budget and time frame
- Provides supervision and general guidance to project managers, engineers and staff with many different areas of expertise. Motivates and challenges employees, delegates effectively, rewards contributions, manages collaboratively
- Manages structural aspects of projects and/or multi-disciplinary projects
- Works with leadership in setting department goals and actively leads the effort in achieving these goals
- Coordinates and assists other discipline groups and offices as well as upper level management and staff
- Takes active mentoring role; encourages, motivates and develops others for high performance; ensures that mistakes become learning opportunities
- Establishes project goals, milestones, and procedures, defines roles and responsibilities, coordinates project resources, coordinates projects and monitors project progress for the department
- Interprets, organizes, executes and coordinates assignments
- Prepares and/or reviews and approves scopes, budgets, and schedules for assignments and department
- Reviews budget to actual progress and works with project managers to make any necessary adjustments
- Reviews or performs structural analysis of structures
- Assists the project managers in coordination with the client, subconsultants and staff
- Actively participates and leads in the business development process by delivering quality work, providing excellent client service and assisting with project pursuits
- Provides guidance and ensures staff follows all in-house procedures related to documentation of designs and project management
- Keeps current with the engineering profession in theory and practice, especially in area of specialty
- Participates in the interviews and hiring of new staff members
- Represents the organization at professional organizations and conferences
- Responsible for planning, directing and coordinating complex assignments independently, modification of established guidelines, and the initiation of new approaches
- Team leader in proposal development and opportunity research
- Proactively address any risks or issues that may impact the project scope, time, quality, or budget. Maintain a high level of communication with the clients and internal teams
- Serve as the technical advisor, providing senior-level input and evaluation for design and construction of transportation/structural projects
- Liaises with clients, agencies and others to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals
- Provides technical assistance in resolving complex problems and decision making
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated skill at project management of complex multiple concurrent projects
- Knowledge of directives, programs, standards and administrative procedures
- Possesses broad technical knowledge within the transportation practice/structure engineering sciences
- In-depth understanding of all phases of project document production including codes, legal and design requirements in relevant authority
- Ability to identify issues associated with implementation of emerging technologies and appropriate courses of action
- Ability to provide detailed information, advice, and direction to leadership in the field of structural engineering
- Ability to make decisions and recommendation without formal guidelines or precedents
- Ability to make independent decisions on highly technical or complex work methods and procedures within transportation practice/structural specialization
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate ideas, design issues and solutions to others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience
Master's degree or equivalent in Structural Engineering or related field & Licensed Professional Engineer.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Kentucky-Lexington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000DZ
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top