Structural Engineering Intern
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
In this position as a Co-op Student, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
The role of a Co-op Student is to perform a variety of selected tasks and assignments to continue to develop knowledge and skills within the structural discipline. Assignments will require good technical understanding of the basics. Work performed will be under the direct supervision of a Senior Technician or Engineer.
A Co-op Student will perform a variety of tasks which may include preparing drawings and assisting with the plans and designs of structures and facilities such as bridges, railroads, roads, airports, harbors, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, tunnels, power plants and other projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare contract drawings, specifications, schedules, details and sketches from conceptual design through to construction
- Facilitate and ensure the quality of the project deliverables
- Follow production guidelines and project standards in the department drafting standards manual
- Providing CAD drafting and design assistance for a wide variety of projects, from report stage through design and construction administration
- Assisting in resolution of technical issues on construction sites
- You will be expected to support team operations and play an integral part in the promotion of our health and safety culture
- Coordinates with other professionals on assigned projects
- An interest in structural engineering is crucial
- Working understanding of CAD Standards
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the team
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite
- Working knowledge of software programs including AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of basic calculations
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work under and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation
- Eager to learn with strong listening and critical thinking and problem solving skills
Currently enrolled in a technical degree in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top