Structural Engineer, Water Power and Dams, Chicago
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
Your Opportunity This requisition is open and available for our Waterpower & Dams business center located in Chicago, Illinois. Advanced knowledge of structural engineering principles and practices applied in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems , and capability to perform finite element analyses (FEA) as applied to the detailed design of steel and concrete structures.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams on structural engineering projects.
- Developing 2D & 3D finite element models (FEM).
- Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for water retaining structures (dams, locks, gates, spillways, etc.), hydropower stations, water and wastewater treatment plants, and other infrastructure projects. Assisting with structural engineering on projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
- Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete and structural steel systems primarily, but may also include aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
- Assisting in project management and administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and schedule and completing progress reports.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies. - Developing plans and specifications for construction.
- Reviewing construction shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to design changes during construction.
- Assisting technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring, resident engineering and other construction-related fieldwork.
- Receiving OSHA training for confined space entry to assist with tunnel (or similar) inspections.
- Occasional domestic and international travel.
- E.I.T. certification.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English language.
- Proficiency with the use of design and finite element software such as SAP 2000, ABAQUS or ANSYS.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Desire to obtain Structural Engineering registration.
- A good understanding of seismic analysis with knowledge on soil-structure interaction (SSI).
- Experience producing 3D models and structural engineering drawings using AutoCAD, REVIT or Inventor.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent.
B.S. or M.S in Civil or Structural Engineering
Minimum of 5 to 10 years of experience in the analysis and detailed design of structural systems.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top