Structural Engineer - EIT
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
This requisition is open for our Power & Dams business center located in Chicago, Illinois. This position requires a knowledge of structural engineering applied in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems, and capability of learning and performing more advanced engineering analyses with supervision. Supervision and guidance will relate largely to technical development, as well as fundamental and advanced structural engineering concepts. The applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supporting multi-disciplinary teams on civil and structural engineering projects.
- Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for water retaining structures (dams, locks, spillways, etc.), hydropower stations, wastewater treatment plants, and other hydraulic containment facilities, and industrial guildings.
- Assisting with structural engineering analyses and design for projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
- Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete and structural steel systems primarily, but may also include aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
- Assisting in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and completing progress reports.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Developing plans and specifications for construction.
- Reviewing construction shop drawing, submittals and field changes regarding structural work.
- Assisting technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring and other field and construction-related work.
- Receiving OSHA training for confined space entry to assist with tunnel (or similar) inspections.
- Occasional travel.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Functional knowledge of structural analysis software, such as SAP 2000 or similar. Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Ability and desire to obtain Professional Engineering registration.
- Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Experience producing 3D models and structural engineering drawings using AutoCAD, or REVIT.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent at the student or professional level.
Education and Experience
B.S. or M.S. in Civil or Structural Engineering.
0 to 3 years of experience in the engineering or construction industry.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer - EIT
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000395
Back to top