Structural Engineer - Buildings
Your Opportunity: Our Buildings Engineering group specializes in the design and development processes unique to buildings. Working closely with our clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the specific needs of a range of building projects. Together, with the disciplines of architecture and engineering (structural, mechanical, and electrical), we are passionate about the design quality of the built environment and create designs that are intelligent, sustainable and award winning. At Stantec we recognize the multi-disciplinary value of effective integration of our design processes and tools in creating high-performance, fiscally responsible, award winning facilities. We believe that smarter buildings are the collective result.
Develop your career in a stimulating environment working on interesting and complex projects alongside talented professionals in their field.
Your Duties: Stantec's office in Yellowknife, NT is currently seeking a Structural Engineer. If you are an excellent communicator and skilled problem-solver with strong attention to detail, then we have a dynamic work environment where you can play a pivotal role in a diverse range of building projects, from initial planning through design and construction, along with mentoring of junior staff and the development of client relationships.
Responsibilities include the design of structural systems for commercial, healthcare, industrial, institutional, public, and private facilities, specifically:
- Prepare and coordinate structural engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender into construction.
- Prepare and oversee design calculations, technical specifications, and engineering drawings for concrete, steel, and wood building structures.
- Apply professional seal to construction documents and engineering reports
- Working with team members in determining viable solutions for design challenges.
- Working to and meeting scope of deliverables, project budgets, work plans, and schedules.
- Coordinate design work with project team members, other disciplines, and other offices as required by project size.
- Supporting construction administration personnel including field reviews and co-ordination, review and issuance of change orders, clarifications and RFI responses.
- Ensure Stantec's Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures are followed during project planning and execution.
- Assist the management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- The successful candidate should possess a University Degree in Civil /Structural Engineering, and be a Licensed Professional Engineer registered in Canada; must be able to be registered as a Professional Engineer in the Northwest Territories
- Minimum 7-10 years' experience in the design of various structures, ideally in a buildings consulting environment
- Possess a thorough understanding of structural design and project delivery types
- Experience in design for northern climatic conditions, specifically for permafrost conditions is highly beneficial
- Working knowledge of the Canadian building code and standards
- Project Management experience would be considered an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and experience; proficiency in AutoCAD essential and experience using structural engineering software such as RISA Technologies® products
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and a strong attention to detail are essential.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a multidiscipline group.
Experience an adventure!
Yellowknife is the capital of the Northwest Territories and is a remarkably cosmopolitan city of roughly 20,000, filled with well-educated families and professionals. It is the commercial hub for projects and communities across the NWT and the wilderness is just steps from our downtown office. In Yellowknife, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas.
Up here work-life balance truly exists. Whether you're interested in an adventure filled with fishing, skiing, hiking and snowmobiling, or just looking to live in a beautiful, small urban center, Yellowknife could be the place for you.
Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top