The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
This position is located in Barbados.
Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You are responsible for developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all structural engineered systems or products for a project
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three dimensional models of building's structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers
- Prepares and revises documentation in various structural phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents
- Participates in constructability review
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers
- Leads and provides guidance in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects
- Assists with the development of proposals for smaller, less complex projects
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Have experience leading a small structural and civil design group
- Ability to conduct technical design peer reviews
- Marketing and business development skills
- A high level of competence in the use of engineering software such as Civil 3D, Tekla Structures, and Revit Structures would be an asset.
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others
- Strong presentation and interview skills
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit; Prefer experience with AutoCAD, Newforma, Component Design Software, Comprehensive Building Analysis Software, and Structure Finite Element Analysis such as RAM concept, Adapt Builder, and SAFE
Education and Experience
Hold an undergraduate degree in civil engineering and a post graduate degree in Structural Engineering from a reputable university. Have 12 years of experience working in a recognized consulting engineering firm. Experience in the Caribbean would be an asset. Should be capable of obtaining the Caricom Skilled Graduate National status - if not already a resident of Barbados.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: Barbados-Barbados (State)-St Michael
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190002R3
Back to top