We design with the next generation in mind. The Stantec Waterpower & Dams group's reputation is built on over 100 years of delivering engineering excellence to improve the quality of life around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful waterpower and dam projects - projects vital to both local and global communities - from delivering reliable access to clean water and power to millions of people in eastern Africa to ensuring emergency water storage for drought-stricken southern California.
This requisition is open and available for our Waterpower & Dams business center located in Chicago, Illinois.
This position requires advanced knowledge of structural engineering principles and practices applied in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems , and capability to perform finite element analyses (FEA) as applied to the detailed design of steel and concrete structures. Supervision and guidance will relate largely to technical development, advanced structural engineering concepts, and project management. The applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams on structural engineering projects.
- Developing 2D & 3D finite element models (FEM).
- Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for water retaining structures (dams, locks, gates, spillways, etc.), hydropower stations, water and wastewater treatment plants, and other infrastructure projects.
- Assisting with structural engineering on projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
- Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete and structural steel systems primarily, but may also include aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
- Assisting in project management and administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and schedule and completing progress reports.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Developing plans and specifications for construction.
- Reviewing construction shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to design changes during construction.
- Assisting technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring, resident engineering and other construction-related fieldwork.
- Receiving OSHA training for confined space entry to assist with tunnel (or similar) inspections.
- Occasional domestic and international travel.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- S. Structural Engineering.
- E. or E.I.T. certification.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in the analysis and detailed design of structural systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English language.
- Proficiency with the use of design and finite element software such as SAP 2000, ABAQUS or ANSYS.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Desire to obtain Structural Engineering registration.
- A good understanding of seismic analysis with knowledge on soil-structure interaction (SSI).
- Experience producing 3D models and structural engineering drawings using AutoCAD, REVIT or Inventor.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent.
# of Openings Remaining 1
Experience (Years) 5
Discipline Power Engineering
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top