At our core, we're a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Working in our Chandler, AZ office, you will assume the role of Structural Designer. You would be responsible for developing and coordinating structural Revit models and electronic documents on both large and small-scale projects within the global Mining Sector. This position reports to the Supervisor of Design.
As a Structural Designer, you will be part of a multi-talented team focused on designing surface and underground facilities such as overhead cranes, shaft steel, material handling and storage supports, equipment supports, and many other miscellaneous structures. Working with other designers and engineers of our multi-discipline team, you will convey structural requirements to the construction team through traditional 2D paper deliverables and/or BIM 3D Revit models. You will work closely with engineers, project managers and mining specialists as you develop design concepts, create models, and coordinate designs to consider existing conditions and other discipline requirements.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Initiate and maintain an electronic file of structural models and documents for the project.
- Work with the Project Discipline Lead to determine intent and content of each structural model or drawing.
- Coordinate structural models and documents with other design disciplines and contractors to resolve problems and avoid clashes.
- Perform QA/QC procedures including reviewing documents for constructability and completeness.
- Works with the Project Discipline Lead to understand scopes of work, schedules, budgets, project instructions and responsibilities.
- Execute discipline procedures as determined by the Structural Supervisor with focus on quality, ensuring conformance with established structural standards, project standards, and project delivery processes.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Project Discipline Lead, the Structural Design Lead, the Structural BIM Lead, or the Manager of Structural Engineering.
- Create conceptual structural models based on verbal direction or rough sketches
- Coordinate work with related disciplines.
- May perform field walks, which may include climbing ladders and walking/standing for extended periods of time.
- Additionally, this position may require you to serve as a Lead Structural Designer for a project. In this capacity, you will be further expected to:
- Coordinate the work of the design team, assigning work, monitoring progress towards deadlines, and ensuring quality standards are met.
- Coordinate work executed out of remote offices.
- Take responsibility for internal, cross-discipline, and external project reviews.
- Attend project meetings and take an active role to help team resolve concerns and solve problems across all disciplines.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience working on heavy steel and concrete structures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with design of Mining facilities and infrastructure.
- Experience with Navisworks and Bluebeam.
- Experience leading a team of Designers.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- be highly proficient in 3D modeling using Revit and produce high quality structural models and drawings based on the required Level of Design (LOD).
- Thorough understanding of structural model and electronic document quality standards.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent
Minimum of 8 years drafting/designer experience in the structural field
Minimum of 3 years Revit experience and 5 years AutoCAD experience or a combination of education/experience. (Acceptable education includes an associate degree in Computer Technology or specialized training in AutoCAD and Revit operation)
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineering Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Chandler
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190001HZ
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top