The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your role is to work with direct supervision and direction on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements
- Assists in the development of design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of building structural systems
- Prepares and revises documentation in various project phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Coordinates with other building disciplines (architectural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, civil, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks
- Assists with the development of job specific discipline specifications
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of building structural systems and materials
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Implements sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment
- Performs calculations of building elements and well-defined structural systems using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic ability in performing structural design of gravity and lateral force resisting systems
- Basic knowledge and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- Basic knowledge of building structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit; Prefer experience with Newforma, AutoCAD; Component Design Software, General Matrix Analysis Software; Comprehensive Building Analysis Software such as RAM Structural System, Tekla Structural Designer, and ETABS.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 2-3 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Miami
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000059
Back to top