The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
At Stantec, we are passionate about creating places that inspire. Through our Architecture and Interior Design work, we challenge design ideas of the past to create spaces that foster a culture of collaboration - spaces that are designed for community.
We believe good design extends beyond the physical elements of a space. Good design shapes our lives, influences our behaviors and interactions, and has purpose. We strive to design spaces that are meaningful and memorable for our communities. Join our team of creative professionals and work with us to create inspiring spaces for all.
We have a number of long-term, high profile projects in and around the country that require a Senior Specifications Writer to be part of our award-winning team.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate within a departmental group/ team framework with flexibility to capture and ensure project design quality and project contract document quality
- Review architectural design drawings to identify scope and content for specifications at various stages of design project including; Preliminary Project Descriptions, Outline Specifications, Design and Construction Specifications/ Project Specific Specifications, Building Permit Submissions, Bid / Contract Specifications, and Construction Specification.
- Develop project specifications.
- Collaborate with project team to ensure that specifications, drawings and schedules are coordinated
- Attend client and sub-consultant meetings as needed
- Assist design teams in selection / identification of materials, products, finishes and installation consistent with the project
- Prepare written technical specifications consistent with industry standards and Client requirements using MasterSpec guide specifications, BSD Speclink, client guide specifications, SpecsIntact specifications and other specification systems.
- Coordinate contents/ volumes of each Project Manual; prepare contract documents from schematic concept design through final design while ensuring they meet internal quality standards and external design and construction codes and reference standards
- Assess requirements for project and work with the Project Manager(s), Project Architects, interior designers, architectural technicians/technologists to determine and coordinate scope(s) of work
- Review design and recognize technical concerns and develop solutions or make recommendations to mitigate found concerns
- Coordinate specifications with drawings throughout all consulting disciplines to meet project milestones, check quality and ensure deliverables meet internal quality standards
- Act as a project resource to project teams and share/mentor team project staff as required
- Research new construction products, technologies and systems.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Registered Specification Writer or CSI designation an asset.
- Architectural Registration preferred
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis on Word, and Excel and Adobe Acrobat, SpecsIntact, BSD Speclink, and FTP programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, working with others in a team setting, communicating directly with Owner and Contractor contact and working on multiple projects at the same time
- Leadership In Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) preferred
- Extensive knowledge of building codes, industry standards, structures, and materials standards
- Active Member of Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) preferred
Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Education with emphasis given to degrees in Architecture and related fields
- Previous experience in building construction settings, including but not limited to architecture firms with Hospitality, Institutional and DoD Design firms
- 15 years of experience writing construction specifications
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice .
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190000PJ
Back to top