Senior Welding Inspector - Independent Contractor
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
The focus of the Senior Welding Inspector role is to supervise the field welding program and provide technical assistance to the construction management and inspection team. This position will report directly to the Chief Inspector. The Senior Welding Inspector will maintain daily contact with the Contractor's welding foreman, activity inspectors and, more particularly, the welding inspection team.
We are looking to fill this position for opportunities in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Audit the results and the activities of the radiographic inspection contractor, with that contractor's Senior Radiographer.
- Approve and supervise Welder Qualification Tests and maintain an ongoing log of welders and their respective qualifications.
- Ensure that all welders present and working on the job are qualified, in accordance with the scope of work to which they are dedicated on the project.
- Review all Daily Welding Reports to ensure that they are both accurate and comprehensive. Evaluate and communicate, welding related, Non-
- Compliances to the Chief Inspector/RCM for his action, where necessary.
- Prepare Daily Welding and Radiographic Production Reports and ascertain that the information used to formulate these reports is both accurate and comprehensive.
- Ensure that the contractor's superintendent and foremen are thoroughly familiar with Project Welding Specifications, Drawings, welding procedures, and the Special and General requirements necessary to obtain the desired quality of final product.
- Review daily repair welding data, in conjunction with the NDE contractor, prior to submitting to the contractor.
- Ensure that all welding is carried out in accordance with the approved and written welding procedures.
- Ensure that weld tagging operations are in accordance with specified procedures.
- Review a sufficient number weld data, on a daily basis, to ensure that the quality, intensity and diagnostic length are to the standard requirements and that the interpretation by the NDE technicians is consistent and acceptable to the Contract Specifications.
- Ensure that all NDE work carried out is in accordance with the qualified procedures.
- Ensure that the storage of radiographic film meets Project requirements.
- Ensure that radiographic film is available for applicable completed welds and is properly catalogued.
- Visit all welding locations on a daily basis, to check with the inspectors on problem areas, quality of work, and generally auditing the inspectors for accuracy and consistency.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Senior NDE technician, the Daily NDE Diagnosis of Repair and Cut-out Welds and ensure that all cut out and repaired welds are tracked until a satisfactory weld is obtained and recorded.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification required for all pipeline positions, this is not a requirement when working on pumping stations or terminals.
- CSA W178.2 Welding Inspector Certification to Level 2 or 3, and a current Visual Acuity Record / Eye Exam, and one of the next 3 below:
- Journeyman Welder Certification
- Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter Certification
- Welding Engineering Technologist Diploma
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning and implementing skills.
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly convey information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills in use of Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
Education and Experience
Technical diploma/certificate (as listed above). Minimum of 10 years of industrial and/or pipeline construction experience.
Position will work in office and field setting. Visits construction sites and works in outside weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations: Canada-Saskatchewan, Canada-Ontario, Canada-Alberta, Canada-British Columbia
Employee Status: Contract
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 19000009
Back to top