Senior Water Resources Engineer
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Your Opportunity The role of a senior civil engineer is to work independently on smaller projects and as a team member of larger projects. The engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. As a senior civil engineer, you will perform a variety of tasks, which may include calculations and field work. The projects that a senior civil engineer may be assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge. You will lead the analysis of proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Your Key Responsibilities
- Manages project tasks completely, including the managing of client relationships and bringing in new clients.
- May perform or assist Project Manager and/or Project Technical Lead with managing and monitoring financial performance of project budgets.
- Performs on technically complex projects and acts as a technical resource by providing guidance to other team members.
- Reviews and conducts alternative analyses to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Implements understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates corrective actions
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- Manages and leads others while working on projects and developing design; assigns, reviews and evaluates work for technical accuracy and completeness; advises on technical problems.
- Manages the geotechnical and surveying elements of the work.
- Prepares contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications).
- Develops strategy for minimizing impacts and constraints due to environmental and permitting requirements.
- Understands and implements industry standards and manuals as well as client and regulatory agencies standards and requirements.
- Stays up to date on regulatory changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- Serves as the Project's point of contact with clients, agencies and others to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals.
- May lead the preparation of proposals and negotiate contracts.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Experience and expertise in surface water hydrology and hydraulics. GIS applications in hydrologic modeling. Extensive knowledge and application of 1-d hydraulics (HEC-RAS) and 2-d hydro-dynamic modeling (FLO-2D and HEC-RAS). Hydraulics Analysis and design of hydraulic structures including levees, dams, weirs, energy dissipaters, bridge hydraulics, principal and emergency spillways for dams and detention basins, scour and erosion analysis and countermeasures, and sediment transport a plus. Floodplain studies and FEMA delineations, CLOMR/LOMR. Dambreak studies and EAPs.
- This role includes mentoring and coaching less experienced engineers in hydrology and hydraulics. project management including preparing scope of works, budgets, and project schedules. Involvement in professional engineering societies.
- Efficient project management/technical leadership of assigned tasks on multiple concurrent projects.
- Understands client expectations, budgeting, proposal writing, and producing high quality deliverables.
- Technical expert in many relevant areas of design and understanding of various design and construction methods (i.e. open cut and trenchless installations, etc.).
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Proficient in relevant design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, Bentley MicroStation, GIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, InfoWater and AFT Fathom (or other conveyance system hydraulic modeling software).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience.
- Typical office environment working with computers. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top