Senior Water Quality and Ecotoxicology Specialist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for a Senior Water Quality and Ecotoxicology Specialist to help lead our water quality programs. The position will ideally be located in either Sidney or Burnaby, British Columbia but there is flexibility for our other offices in western Canada. The ideal candidate is someone that can capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec's profile and market share in the regional and national market. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and contributing to water quality field programs, environmental assessments, and environmental permitting activities for a variety of projects but with a focus on mining. Projects may include water quality data collection programs, water quality and ecotoxicology effects assessments, and environmental effects monitoring programs as they relate to developments in the freshwater and marine environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Develop, lead, manage and support water quality and ecotoxicology components of projects
- Designing field sampling programs for baseline characterization, fate transport, and effects assessment of metals, metalloids, and nutrients in the aquatic environments
- Developing and maintaining water quality databases and modelling tools
- Assisting with design and development of water quality models for Project's with potential affects to freshwater and marine environments
- Interpreting water quality data and model results in terms of risk and potential acute and chronic toxicological effects to aquatic biota, livestock, and/or human receptors
- Performing statistical analyses of water quality data to detect trends, significant differences, and guideline exceedances
- Coordinating and tracking of assignments, scopes, schedules budgets and deliverables
- Promoting a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec's Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Demonstrating leadership and coordination of staff across operating units
- Proposal writing
- Client management, client communication and business development;
- Technical writing and report preparation
- Technical direction to staff/mentoring of staff
- QA/QC of technical documents, and
- Support field work as needed.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Fluent understanding of Canadian and provincial water quality and sediment quality guidelines, legislation and regulations;
- Fluent understanding of water quality modeling and software
- Thorough understanding of the acute and chronic toxicological implications of various high-profile parameters (e.g., mercury, arsenic, selenium) on aquatic biota
- Thorough understanding of the lower trophic biological communities (i.e., plankton, algae, benthic invertebrates) and interactions that provide the basis for the aquatic food web
- Experience designing and conducting aquatic fate and effects studies for metals
- Experience preparing environmental assessments/ impact statements and other regulatory applications
- Experience with aquatic environment effects monitoring study design, data interpretation, and reporting
- Demonstrated technical writing skills
- Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
- Strong leadership and business development skills, including significant experience building and maintaining productive relationships with a client base
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies, and
- Desire to mentor and manage junior an intermediate staff (experience supervising people and/or leading teams is an asset).
Education and Experience
A Master's degree in one of the Environmental Sciences (e.g., Toxicology, Biology, Chemistry) or equivalent is required.
Professional registration is required (R.P.Bio. or P.Ag.)
Minimum of 10 years of experience, which must include relevant consulting experience in the mining sector.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Scientist
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations: Canada-British Columbia-Sidney
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900005Z
Back to top