Senior Structural Engineer - Buildings
Your Opportunity Intelligent design. Innovative execution. These are the elements of architecture and buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we're achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team of architects and interdisciplinary engineers, our Buildings Practice, works collaboratively with clients to design buildings and processes that are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
Join a busy, dynamic team that balances multiple project interests and requirements with creativity and efficiency for a smooth ride every time. Together, we can accelerate towards a brighter future.
Your Duties The successful candidate for this S enior Level Structural Engineer - Buildings position will provide technical expertise in structural buildings systems, support of and proactive involvement in ongoing business development initiatives and hands on mentoring to our Structural Engineering practice within our Buildings Engineering team. We are involved in a wide range of projects of various complexity in multiple sectors including the exciting ICE District development, major research laboratories and healthcare facilities, advanced educational projects and infrastructure projects yet also undertake small and medium sized rehabilitation, renovation, commercial development, light industrial and structural assessment work. Within the larger Stantec design community the range of opportunity and challenge is significant and broad. You will work with senior buildings colleagues providing your design expertise to the team with a focus on supporting the growth of the Structural Engineering and Buildings Architecture and Engineering practice with intention to increase our market share.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Liaise with owners, architects, engineering disciplines, and other project stakeholders to determine project objectives. Relay objectives to project team. Ensure project objectives are met
- Prepare and coordinate structural engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender into construction
- Prepare and oversee design calculations, technical specifications, and engineering drawings for concrete, steel, masonry and wood building structures.
- Apply professional seal to construction documents and engineering reports
- Monitor and take professional responsibility for design completed by structural team members
- Ensure Stantec's Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures are followed during project planning and execution
- Assist Project Managers in developing project budgets, work plans, and schedules
- Assist in the coordination of project design activities and the preparation of engineering work schedules a part of an overall integrated team
- Coordinate design work with project team members, other disciplines, and other offices as required by project size. Support Construction Administration personnel
- Coach intermediate and junior staff members both informally and through formal presentations.
- Participate in overall Stantec Buildings business development activities.
- Develop and maintain a network of clients, both internal and external to Stantec
- Work with the Buildings Practice management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural engineering from a recognized University. A Master's degree is considered a strong asset
- Minimum of 15 - 20 years' of post-graduation experience in a structural design and business development environment. You possess a thorough understanding of building structure s design and project delivery types
- Experience in the healthcare sector is considered essential
- Experience in high rise building design is considered an asset
- Experience in seismic engineering design is considered an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and experience with structural finite element engineering design software such as ETABS, SAP, SAFE, RAM, and STAAD. Revit experience/knowledge is highly desirable
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada is required; P.Eng. registration in Alberta would be required in a short period
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a multidiscipline group.
- Strong leadership, time management, project management, communication and team building skills
- Detailed knowledge of Project Management fundamentals
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks, and demonstrate flexible approach to work assignments
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology and to integrate new technologies into daily work processes
Qualified candidates who are highly motivated and eager to commit to Stantec's strategic initiative to become a Top 10 global design firm should submit their resume and cover letter online at www.stantec.com/careers .
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top