Senior Structural Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future - join us!
Your Opportunity Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team is to actively participate in marketing efforts and business development pursuits including lead development, proposal preparation, presentations, relationship management and client surveys; to working collaboratively with Buildings Practice senior staff to achieve key business development goals; to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You will assist in developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Developing and maintaining relationships and visibility with current and prospective clients
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all structural engineered systems or products for a project
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three dimensional models of building's structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers
- Prepares and revises documentation in various structural phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents
- Participates in constructability review
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers
- Leads and provides guidance in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects
- Assists with the development of proposals
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong business development skills, including significant experience building and maintaining productive relationships with a client base (such experience within a consulting organization in Edmonton is considered a strong asset).
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others
- Strong presentation and interview skills
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit; Prefer experience with AutoCAD, Newforma, Component Design Software, Comprehensive Building Analysis Software, and Structure Finite Element Analysis such as RAM concept, Adapt Builder, and SAFE
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top