Senior Structural Engineer
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top water professionals on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has water down to a science.
Stantec's Water Resources sector is seeking a highly motivated Senior Structural Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in Texas and help manage and deliver projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment for dams, levees, floodwalls, and other major water infrastructure. The role of a Senior Structural Engineer is to work independently on facets of complex projects and as a design team leader on large projects. Providing technical advice and direction to junior and mid-level structural engineers is also a major aspect of this position.
Stantec is a leader in the engineering industry with a deep bench of both local and national expertise. Our strong Texas water team continues to grow, so it is an exciting time to join us as we serve our client's needs and create more opportunities for our staff's growth and development. If you want to contribute to the industry in an impactful way, join our team! personnel.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- For independently accomplished designs, perform calculations, develop or lead the development of plans, technical specifications, and material quantities for the structural engineering facets of both new construction projects and the rehabilitation of water resources infrastructure (hydraulic, environmental, industrial, and general structures).
- For leadership of large design projects, provide direction, coordination, quality control, and scheduling of engineering and CADD resources necessary for the timely and accurate completion of assigned projects.
- Lead field inspections and assessments of structures both prior to (in cases of rehabilitation) and during construction as necessary.
- Responsible for the technical review and sealing of projects.
- Oversee the preparation of construction contract documents, plans and reports.
- Perform or directs calculations using Excel, Mathcad, and industry standard structural engineering software.
- Recognize when technical, coordination, or scheduling problems are developing and initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Utilize or direct the utilization of relevant CADD software to prepare exhibits and complex working drawings.
- Assist junior and mid-level engineers in the development of designs and contract documents.
- Maintain and enhance our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider.
- Maintain consistently high standards of delivery, quality, flexibility, and innovation.
- Enhance the reputation of Stantec through preparation and presentation of papers at professional society conferences and seminars.
- Coordinate with Stantec leadership and client contacts routinely to explore future opportunities, budget planning, and staff resourcing needs.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Previous hydraulic structural engineering experience (design of pumping stations, floodwalls, closure structures, spillways, etc. preferred.
- Familiarity with USACE design standards (Engineering Manuals) related to hydraulic structures preferred.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- General knowledge of AutoCAD and/or MicroStation.
- Ability to create and interpret sketches, drawings of various structures.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Project).
- Familiarity with an industry standard FEM program.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to lead project teams, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate ideas, design issues and solutions to others.
- Ability to manage the design of numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical report preparation, as well as effective skills working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Structures with 10 years of experience in structural engineering for water-related projects, Master's degree a plus.
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) required. Ability to obtain a Texas PE within six months of hire required. SE license a plus.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002VX
Back to top