Senior Structural Engineer
- South Portland, ME
Stantec, a global leader in design and construction of waterfront infrastructure and other large-scale civil works facilities, is currently seeking a Senior Waterfront Engineer (Civil, Structural, Geotechnical, Mechanical, or Electrical) for our Northeastern US operations dedicated to marine and waterfront infrastructure projects. Our multidisciplinary team specializes in the planning, design, construction and rehabilitation of waterfront projects, including: navigation locks; dry docks; seawalls; piers and wharves.
Stantec is seeking highly qualified Senior Structural Engineers to deliver timely, quality services to our private and public sector clients in the Northeastern US. The successful candidate will understand and interpret project design requirements to assure exceptional project outcomes and client satisfaction. They will assist management in the development of a coherent design team and participate in the staffing and technical development of Northeastern US resources.
Your Key Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of the Senior Structural Engineer include:
- Performs on assignments that are broad and varied in nature, requiring sound application of technical codes, standards and guidelines.
- Performs and oversees engineering planning and design assignments at key stages of projects.
- Analyzes complex problems, modifies methods, procedures, processes and proposes new alternative solutions.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates complex assignments, and adapts the application of established guidelines and initiates new approaches.
- Exercises initiative and independent judgment in adapting and applying procedures to address unusual situations and to resolve issues.
- Ensures Stantec's engineering and design procedures and guidelines are consistently and correctly applied on projects, with an eye toward continuous improvement of same.
- Oversees the development of entry- and intermediate-level engineers, including developing, maintaining, and implementing a robust training and mentoring program.
- Advises on resource requirements for marine and waterfront engineering projects.
- Works in a manner to ensure personal safety and that of fellow employees by following Stantec health and safety guidelines and policies.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Highly skilled in technical and functional aspects of the role.
- Proven ability in staff supervision and leadership; experience directly managing others required.
- Demonstrates comprehensive and broad technical knowledge in several functions within the field of large civil works projects, with a focus on marine and waterfront infrastructure.
- Demonstrates strong collaboration, facilitation, and teamwork skills.
- Possesses strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel frequently as and when required. Estimated travel: 25-50%.
- Experience with engineering design tools such as MathCAD, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, BIM, Microsoft Project, or Primavera P6.
- Prior experience with US Federal agency engineering and construction projects (USACE, NAVFAC, AFCEE, etc.) is a plus.
Education and Experience
- Requires BS or BSc degree in engineering from an accredited university; advanced degree preferred.
- Registered professional engineer or ability to obtain registration in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts within six months.
- Minimum of eight to ten years of related work experience.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Burlington
Other Locations: United States-Maine-Scarborough, United States-New Hampshire-Auburn
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000009M
Back to top