Senior Structural Engineer
- Eagle River, AK
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
As a Structural Engineer your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You are responsible for developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity
- Leads an engineering Team responsible for evaluating, selecting, specifying, and engineering all structural engineered systems or products for a project
- Assist in preparing estimated structural manpower requirements, schedules, and other pertinent data; participate in preparing fee proposals, conducting fee negotiations, preparing contractual agreements
- Prepare design concepts and explore design alternatives as directed; ascertain that all code requirements are met and foundation conditions are acceptable; and coordinate with building officials when necessary
- Exercise judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Interface with and support multi-discipline architectural / engineering teams
- Coordinate with regulatory agencies and serve as a liaison between clients and agencies, subcontractors, and design teams
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction and structural documents
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate structural engineering work
- Participate in project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participates in constructability review
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers
- Leads and provides guidance in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group
- Manage project staff, scope, budget, schedule, design, and client expectations in accordance with sound management practices, and Stantec's project management Framework
- Market the firm's engineering and multi-discipline capabilities to establish new clients and enhance relationships with existing clients
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
- Supervises and mentors junior level staff
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others
- Experience with structural design for commercial buildings, pipe racks, vessel and tank foundations, aviation structures, minor transportation system structures, and pile and concrete foundations
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Requires experience producing 3D models and 2D structural engineering drawings using Revit and AutoCad
- Requires experience using structural engineering/finite element analysis software such as STAAD, S-Frame/S-Steel and Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent at the professional level
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering, Master of Science preferred.
Minimum 10 years of experience in a similar role.
Licensed Alaska Professional Engineer in Civil and Structural engineering required.
- If you have a PE and SE License in another state, you must be able to obtain the Alaska PE and SE License within six months of employment.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Alaska-Anchorage
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002VC
Back to top