Senior Specifications Writer
Your Opportunity: At Stantec, we are passionate about creating places that inspire. Through our Architecture and Interior Design work, we challenge design ideas of the past to create spaces that foster a culture of collaboration - spaces that are designed for community.
We believe good design extends beyond the physical elements of a space. Good design shapes our lives, influences our behaviors and interactions, and has purpose. We strive to design spaces that are meaningful and memorable for our communities. Join our team of creative professionals and work with us to create inspiring spaces for all.
We have a number of long-term, high profile projects in and around the Toronto, ON area that require a Senior Specifications Writer to be part of our award winning team.
- Participate within a departmental group/ team framework with flexibility to capture and ensure project design quality and project contract document quality
- Review architectural design drawings to identify scope and content for specifications at various stages of design project including; Preliminary Project Descriptions, Outline Specifications, Design and Construction Output Specifications/ Project Specific Output Specifications, Client Milestone(s) Specifications (ie MOHLTC 4.1 and 4.2, etc.), Project Milestone(s) Specifications, Building Permit Submissions, Tender/ Contract Specifications, and Construction Specifications.
- Develop project specifications.
- Collaborate with project team to ensure that specifications, drawings and schedules are coordinated
- Attend client and sub-consultant meetings as needed
- Assist design teams in selection/ identification of materials, products, finishes and installation consistent with the project
- Prepare written technical specifications consistent with industry standards and Client requirements using office guide specifications and commercial specifications. Create specification sections using Microsoft Word and/ or NMS Editto suit project requirements.
- Research and develop new technologies including BIM-based applications
- Coordinate contents/ volumes of eachProject Manual; prepare contract documents from schematic concept design through final design while ensuring they meet internal quality standards and external design and construction protocols and reference standards
- Assess requirements for project and work with the Project Manager(s), job captains, interior designers, architectural technicians/technologists to determine and coordinate scope(s) of work
- Review design and recognize technical concerns and develop solutions or make recommendations to mitigate found concerns
- Coordinate specifications with drawings throughout all consulting disciplines to meet project milestones, check quality and ensure deliverables meet internal quality standards
- Act as a project resource to project teams and share/mentor team project staffas required
- Research new construction products, technologies and systems.
Your Capabilities and Credentials:
- Bachelor's Degree /Diploma in Architecture /Architectural Technology or related field
- 15 + years of experience writing construction specifications
- Registered Specification Writer or Certified Specification Practioner designation an asset. Architectural Registration preferred
- Previous experience in building construction settings, including but not limited to architecture firms with healthcare design/ planning, architecture - engineering firms, construction management or specification consulting firms
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis on Word, and Excel and Adobe Acrobat, FTP programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills, working with others in a team setting, communicating directly with Owner and Contractor contact and working on multiple projects at the same time
- LEED AP and RSW or CSP certification are a plus
- Extensive knowledge of building codes, industry standards, structures and materials standards
- Active Member of Construction Specifications Canada (CSC) preferred
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top