Senior Protection & Controls Engineer
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career
The Senior Protection and Control Engineer will report to the Manager, P&C Engineering based out of our T&D head office in Wyomissing, PA. As a Senior P&C Engineer you will be responsible for designing projects, performing Protection and Control studies, protective relay settings, logics, calculations and coordination. As well as for the delivery of substation automation system for our high voltage substation projects. The Senior Engineer works within multi-disciplinary teams to assist in developing efficient and reliable substation designs. Familiarity with SCADA systems is desirable. Experience in P&C design for AIS & GIS Green and Brown field stations is required.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performing AC/DC and CT Saturation studies
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary teams to develop efficient and reliable substation automation systems
- Mentor Junior and Intermediate Engineers.
- Delivering all P&C packages as per project timelines and allocated budget
- Acts as a key contributor to the development of P&C application documents to define P&C design scope, philosophies, methodologies and criteria for medium and high-voltage substation projects
- Perform P&C system studies/calculations/coordination and generate relay settings to be integrated and configured into IEDs; attend field commissioning
- Develop control building layout, P&C one line diagram, three-line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- Determine station service loading requirements and perform battery sizing calculations
- Review the design basis memorandum, detailed engineering scope, and guide the assigned discipline engineers/designers to align the engineering deliverables according to project requirements
- Review and accept vendor submittals based upon conformity to and compliance with applicable technical specifications and industry standards
- Provide construction support including resolving site queries through and RFI and/or submittal process, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Exercises high degree of independence, latitude and judgment to plan and organize all aspects of transformational program/project activities
- Demonstrates the ability to make decisions and recommendations that have direct impact on programs, projects, business operations
- Establishes organizational priorities, implementing the strategic plan and vision
- Experience in training & mentoring engineers
- Experience in P&C system studies, relay setting, automation system design and field commissioning for MV and HV substation projects for utilities industry; ability to conduct P&C system study and relay setting/calculations/coordination using Aspen One-liner, ETAP and SKM
- Proficient with MS Office, Advanced skills with MS Excel; familiarity with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to engage internal and external clients and convey technical knowledge;
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam - Eligibility to obtain PE. Candidates with PE registration preferred
- 7 years of experience in protection and control design
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Wyomissing
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 1900010Y
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top