Senior Protection and Controls Project Engineer
- Lake Mary, FL
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
As a Senior Protection and Control Project Engineer in our San Juan, PR office, you will be responsible for designing projects, performing Protection and Control studies, protective relay settings, logics, calculations and coordination. Alternative office locations include Lake Mary-FL or Wyomissing-PA. As well as for the delivery of substation automation system for our high voltage substation projects. The Sr. Engineer works within multi-disciplinary teams to assist in developing efficient and reliable substation designs. Familiarity with SCADA systems is desirable. Experience in P&C design for AIS & GIS green and brownfield stations is required.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform AC/DC and CT Saturation studies
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary teams to develop efficient and reliable substation automation systems
- Mentor Junior and Intermediate Engineers.
- Delivering all P&C packages as per project timelines and allocated budget
- Acts as a key contributor to the development of P&C application documents to define P&C design scope, philosophies, methodologies and criteria for medium and high-voltage substation projects
- Perform P&C system studies/calculations/coordination and generate relay settings to be integrated and configured into IEDs; attend field commissioning
- Develop control building layout, P&C one-line diagram, three-line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- Determine station service loading requirements and perform battery sizing calculations
- Report the progress of the project to the client or Stantec Project Manager
- Act as a liaison between Stantec engineering and construction teams
- Respond to RFIs
- Work closely with other disciplines to produce complete station drawings and package
- Preparation of project plans, management of work in progress (WIP), cost control, schedule, management of the coordination of the project engineering and technical support staff and management of project scope, including negotiation of scope changes with the client.
- Certify that Stantec's Project Management Framework is followed, including project reporting, management of project value versus project percent complete, and quality control/quality assurance procedures
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to manage and deliver deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to work closely with stakeholders to meet with project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Capable of writing equipment specifications and review vendor drawings
- Able to discern complicated facts and disseminate practices, policies, procedures and context on project/program development to internal and external clients
- Requires effective negotiation skills to define contract terms
- Must foster effective working relationships between colleagues, associates, clients and officials
- Provide expertise to internal and external clients to resolve complex problems and issues
Effective Industry Knowledge
- Requires broad general knowledge of electrical industrial and utility power projects, including strong familiarity with other disciplines required for completion of such projects, including Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Services, Surveying, and permitting
- Exhibit originality in providing innovative, practical and economical solutions
- Demonstrate broad technical knowledge and experience in multiple areas of specialization and/or business operations management within the organization
Accountability & Complexity
- Plans, conducts and directs complex assignments with a high degree of independence
- Assignments/projects are complex in nature and require the application of broad engineering knowledge in multiple disciplines
- Reviews and evaluates technical work of other professionals
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provides advice, direction, coaching and mentoring to other professionals and technical staff.
- Contributes to annual employee performance review.
- Participates in decisions made concerning the selection, training, evaluation, discipline, and advancement of staff
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 8 years of substation protection and control design experience
- Licensed Professional Engineer (Puerto Rico is a plus)
- Experience on electric utility projects is required
- Must be willing and able to travel (10%) to industrial worksites to support project work
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Lake Mary
Other Locations: United States-Pennsylvania-Wyomissing
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000018N
Back to top