Senior Ports & Marine Structural Engineer and Project Manager
- Hanover, NH
Our Port and Marine Terminals group is currently made up of teams spread across North America and globally, including Vancouver, Montreal, Dartmouth, Boston, Houston, and Milan. The group provides services for all phases of a project's life cycle, from planning through decommissioning including detailed design, construction and operation. Our many achievements include container terminals, oil and gas facilities, dry bulk ports, marinas, ferries, coastal structures, wharves, jetties, naval facilities and cruise terminals.
In this position as a Senior Ports and Marine Structural Engineer and Project Manager, you will have the opportunity to work as part of the Ports and Marine Terminals team of planners, engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team would be to work independently on projects of varying complexity, and as a senior member of a team and key player on projects. You would be responsible for developing, guiding and implementing our engineering group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations. You would also supervise and successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in on-time and on budget delivery with overall client satisfaction.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working collaboratively with and supporting our Dartmouth marine and structures group, senior leadership and specialists in other offices.
- Taking a lead role in assessing opportunities and responding to RFP's and leading technical and financial proposals.
- Responsibility for all aspects of marine structures and other port related projects.
- Developing project work plans and ensuring execution though oversight and management of multiple projects.
- Engagement in the development of designs through analysis, design, drawings, electronic models, diagrams, etc.
- Preparing and revising documents through all project phases including plans, sections, diagrams, details, specifications, tender documents and cost estimates
- Serve as a primary point of contact with project owner/client.
- Participation in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and cost estimating.
- Participation in QA/QC, coordination and constructability reviews on own projects and other projects of peers.
- Preparing project reports and feasibility studies.
- Developing project scopes, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Managing project schedules, budgets and client engagement.
- Performing structural engineering design tasks on assigned projects.
- Utilizing relevant software programs including STAADPro and / or SAP2000 to prepare analysis, design, and complex working drawings.
- Perform basic calculations along with structural analysis and modeling.
- Recognizing technical problems are develop corrective actions.
- Performing regular reporting as may be requested by leadership.
- Participation in regular marketing and BD tasks
- Reviewing Time sheets and expense reports.
- Weekly cost reporting on specific projects (where required by select clients)
- Participation in performance reviews.
- Performing other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Conforming to Stantec business, OHSE and other policies, etc.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable port and marine terminals standards and guidelines.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production.
- Strong knowledge of marine structural systems.
- Ability to lead multiple teams through all phases of project document production.
- Checks work of others and manages time to meet project budget and schedule
- Participation in project team to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering and port engineering concepts.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment.
- Strong business development skills.
Education and Experience
Master's degree or equivalent in Civil/Structural Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer in Nova Scotia. Minimum of 10 years of experience including minimum 4 years of experience in port and marine terminals design and a minimum of 4 years in a project management role.
Demonstrated technical skills on port and marine terminals projects and marine structures.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003GB
Back to top