Senior Plumbing Designer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
As an integral member of the Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) team, the Senior Plumbing Designer has the knowledge and ability to design a broad range of plumbing systems, including specialized plumbing systems, and fire sprinkler systems in order to produce design documents, from conceptual design to construction documents. This individual is also responsible to QA/QC construction documents, provide design ideas and solutions, and train or mentor other Designers, Engineers, and Interns.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Works in conjunction with the design team from conceptual design through construction documents on the design of fire sprinkler and plumbing systems including wet and dry fire sprinkler systems, sanitary waste, vent, storm, domestic water distribution systems, purified water systems, medical gas systems, compressed air, vacuum, and natural gas systems. Specific to the design of these systems you must be able to design, size, select, schedule, and specify the plumbing and fire sprinkler system components and equipment appropriate for these specific system types.
- Develops conceptual design options, works through design concepts with design team and client.
- Produces plumbing and fire sprinkler design documents from design development through construction documents using relevant design software, specifically AutoCAD and Revit.
- Organizes construction documents from beginning to end with minimal direction.
- Performs specialized design by applying advance skills when necessary.
- Demonstrates understanding of codes and regulatory requirements applicable to plumbing and fire sprinkler design.
- Performs thorough quality control of construction documents.
- Manages deadlines and prioritizes assignments in an efficient and effective manner.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of design software and how to apply it to company procedures.
- Demonstrates understanding of all horizontal/vertical design requirements.
- Maintains file management of AutoCAD/Revit files and other documents.
- Communicates effectively with clients, project managers, and other team members.
- Trains and/or mentors plumbing designers, engineers, and interns in plumbing and fire sprinkler design.
- Identifies complex design constraints and provides solutions.
- Demonstrates understanding of client, project and team requirements.
- Ensures compliance with company design standards within the scope of assigned projects.
- Assists in preparing construction cost estimates.
- Reviews shop drawing submittals.
- Performs site observations to ensure installed plumbing and fire sprinkler systems meet design intent.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient software skills in AutoCAD and Revit.
- Understands local codes and design requirements specific to the local geographic market.
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Keen attention to details.
- Capable of producing large scale, complex designs.
- Able to work as a member of a team.
- Able to work efficiently in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
Education and Experience
10 years' relevant experience designing plumbing system components, plumbing fixtures, and equipment.
Associate Degree in Drafting/Design or equivalent from an accredited college or technical school or equivalent experience or accreditation.
Certified Plumbing Design (CPD) credential desirable but not required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineering Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190002SL
Back to top