Senior Planner - Community Deveopment
Strong communities don't just happen-they're built. They're creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We're driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We're a place where you can apply your passion-and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
As a Senior Planner within our Community Development team based in our Waterloo office, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in the public and private sectors such as new development plans, community design plans, mixed use developments, Official Plan reviews, public consultation and infrastructure planning. The role spans a broad range of planning disciplines and would suit an individual with a broad spectrum of experience but can be tailored to suit an individual with experience in a specific area of practice. As a 23,000 person interdisciplinary firm, the business opportunities within Stantec are endless. At the same time, our planning team in Ontario Southwest totals nine staff which provides for a close working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage the processing and approval of developmentapplications, including Official Plan Amendments, Zoning Bylaw Amendments,Site Plan Applications, minor variances and consent applications, andPlans of Subdivisions.
- Utilize your knowledge of provincial and local planningpolicy in the preparation and management of planning policy studies forpublic sector clients.
- Prepare comprehensive plans and manage complex designprojects.
- Manage and organize public consultation programsincluding making recommendations of key findings to the client.
- Lead marketing initiatives including strategicplanning, opportunity identification, proposal pursuit and preparation,client liaison, preparation of on-line marketing content and social mediamonitoring.
- Maintain and strengthen client relationships and play akey role in client management and satisfaction.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate the technicalaspects of projects for the team.
- Supervise, coordinate and review the work of otherprofessionals who assist in specific assignments.
- Perform due diligence and research on projects asrequired.
- Coordinate with clients, agencies and others to obtainand determine project requirements and approvals.
- Act as a mentor to junior and intermediate levelplanners and provide career development recommendations.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- In-depth knowledge of planning policies and processesin Ontario.
- Experience processing planning applications in Ontario.
- Experience presenting before Planning Committees,Committees of Adjustment, and preferably the OMB/LPAT.
- Highly effective in assembling and leadingmulti-discipline teams on complex projects.
- Demonstrates ability to readily identify potentialproblems on a project.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrentprojects.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining clientrelationships.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's or Master's degree or equivalent in Planning with full CIP/OPPI membership and a minimum of 10 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required to attend meetings with clients and review agencies. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Urban Planner
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001VN
Back to top