Senior Mechanical Engineer (Compression)
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Your Opportunity As a Senior Mechanical Engineer in our Compression Team and senior contributor on our professional consulting services team, your role is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and/or as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You are responsible for developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery. Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for larger projects of high complexity.
- Ensure appropriate application of codes and standards (both legislated and customer-specific).
- Oversee and manage the quality of project deliverables.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all mechanical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Effectively manage multi-discipline technical staff and promote team spirit to execute projects successfully.
- Act as technical advisor on more unusual and complex issues and guide staff on solutions.
- Perform and/or review/approve engineering calculations.
- Complete required mechanical calculations for equipment sizing, material selection, etc.
- Understand and direct work within Stantec's quality control guidelines.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of models of mechanical systems and provides markups for junior engineers/ designers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various mechanical phases.
- Participate in client/vendor/contractor meetings potentially including HAZOP, 3D model reviews and design reviews.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with related documents.
- Provides direct supervision to assigned staff; develop staff skills and abilities by providing guidance and mentoring to strengthen technical abilities.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the mechanical group.
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Assists with the development of proposal for smaller, less complex projects.
- Manage and execute mechanical engineering deliverables on multiple projects in a dynamic work environment.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Supervise and stamp engineering documents and drawings as required.
- Become a champion of Stantec's EH&S program, with a focus on safety in the field.
- Supports and/or leads the development of the PID drawings for the compression facilities.
- Develop and or lead/review/approve mechanical drawings (isometrics, orthos, GA's etc.)
- Develop and or lead/review/approve Construction Work Packages (CWP's).
- Develop and or lead/review/approve construction contracts and the tender /analysis/award/process.
- Ensure all work is completed with safety of paramount concern.
- A strong background in mechanical design of transmission facilities is required.
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering design principles and applicable ASME, CSA, API, TEMA, ASTM, NACE codes and standards.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Proven mentoring skills and desire to work with and encourage junior staff.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Extensive Oil/Gas Industry experience required.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in in multidisciplinary project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought with a passion for successful outcomes.
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to communicate proactively and effectively ideas to others.
- Strong consulting skills including ability to act as main point of contact to various stakeholders.
- Leading by example, integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Experience with facility retrofit (brown-field) projects is an asset.
- Field experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard computer applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD
- Ability to review and approve work.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a proven ability to write clear, thorough technical reports.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple jobs/projects.
- Proven problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to perform in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Detailed understanding of and ability to execute/work with project deliverables such as Process Flow Diagram, P&ID, Isometrics, General Arrangements, etc.
- Detailed understanding of various equipment used in oil & gas such as vessels, tanks, heat exchangers & coolers, heaters, rotating equipment (pumps and compressors), packaged equipment, valves & specialty items.
- Strong understanding of material selection to support design of process piping and equipment
- Knowledge of fabrication and construction techniques and processes.
Licensed Professional Engineer
Supervisory and leadership experience is a plus
Minimum of 12 years of work related experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top