Senior Mechanical Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Stantec is hiring a Technical Department Head/Project Lead Mechanical Engineer (HVAC) to join our team in Philadelphia, PA. Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting team is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You are responsible for developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Responsible for the mechanical department technical accuracy using Stantec established tools and design methods. Technical resource for all projects for HVAC and potentially plumbing disciplines.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all mechanical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Act as technical advisor on more unusual and complex issues and guide staff on solutions
- Engages and directs the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Directs the use of BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of building's mechanical systems and provides guidance for junior engineers/ designers.
- Prepares and directs documentation in various mechanical phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Serves as the lead client contact and technical lead establishing project requirements, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Where assigned as a task manager on a project, help develop project design work plans and monitor the hours spent by the MEP engineering team.
- Provides direct supervision to assigned staff; develop staff skills and abilities by providing guidance and mentoring to strengthen technical abilities through professional career development opportunities.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the mechanical group.
- Maintain and augment department technical resources (design standards by system, master specifications, equipment selection guidelines, design details, Revit modeling production efficiency).
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- On-going activity in technical societies and sector societies.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of the mechanical and/or plumbing codes, energy codes, ASHRAE standards, FGI Guidelines, and other building codes.
- Strong knowledge of Building Automation Systems and controls. Ability to author sequences of operation and develop design controls documentation for HVAC systems.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to review and monitor the production progress via the BIM is required.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Knowledge of and experience with high performance and sustainable building practices
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving problems
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with Newforma, Trane Trace & eQuest.
- Working knowledge of plumbing/fire protection systems engineering and design is a plus.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 10-15 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 180001X3
Back to top