Senior Mechanical Engineer
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, we design with the next generation in mind. We operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized waterpower and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world's most impactful water power and dam projects-projects vital to both local and global communities.
We are actively seeking a new Water Power and Dams Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Burnaby, BC. The successful candidate is expected to work independently and under guidance of the Mechanical Lead as required to provide mechanical engineering services on small to large-sized domestic and international hydroelectric and dam, installation and refurbishment projects, with the objective of meeting the defined contractual scope, schedule and budget to the relevant codes, standards and company procedures. Occasional travel to project sites or other offices is required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering aspects of hydroelectric facilities design or construction.
- Proficiency in the use of basic engineering and design tools such as Mathcad, AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks, and Finite Element Analysis programs is desired. Knowledge of structural analysis software packages will be a definite asset.
- Experience in condition assessment, troubleshooting performance issues, and commissioning of the mechanical equipment described above is desired.
- Experience with manufacturing, operation or maintenance of hydropower equipment described above will be considered an asset.
- Experience on shop fabrication processes, such as welding and machining will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of American, Canadian and provincial codes and standards.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and time lines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively work and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external customers.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized and accredited institution.
A minimum of 10 years of professional engineering experience with minimum 5 years related to new and rehabilitation of hydroelectric facilities including: preparation of conceptual and detail designs, specifications and review of vendor submissions involving hydroelectric turbines, penstocks, and Balance of Plant systems (such as oil, water and air, fire protection, HVAC systems and other mechanical systems) specific for hydroelectric facilities, hydro gates, trash racks, intake structures, stop logs, large diameter spherical and butterfly valves and hoist operating systems (wire rope, screw, hydraulic, gantry cranes, etc).
Registration as a Professional Engineer in BC or other Canadian Province. PE registration will be considered an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: MIG-33301
Back to top