Senior Marine Biologist
Your Opportunity 2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Our Environmental Services discipline group is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and proactively. We provide integrated, multidisciplinary services to identify and assess liabilities and risks, and to develop solutions to promote effective environmental solutions. Our staff of professionals includes specialists in marine biology, wetland science, wildlife biology, soil science, fisheries biology, botany, hydrogeology, hydrology, water resources management, forestry, habitat and ecosystem restoration, permitting, GIS, information management, environmental monitoring, in-situ/ex-situ remedial design and implementation, human health and ecological risk assessments, air quality permitting and reporting, pipeline compliance, stormwater permitting and planning, and audit support services. We are seeking exceptionally talented and enthusiastic individuals with a keen interest in the marine environment to join our team and advance their career.
Stantec's has an immediate opportunity for a Senior Marine Biologist to work within our North Atlantic Marine Resources program. The successful candidate will direct and oversee aspects of both small and large scale multi-discipline projects with a high degree of technical complexity and a significant marine study component. We need a dedicated professional to support our growing energy and community development practices that includes offshore wind, electric transmission, offshore oil and gas and port and harbor development. The position will build and maintain client relations and participate in project development and contract document preparation. The person will mentor mid- and junior-level marine biologists and other staff. The position will provide oversight of field study program design and implementation for marine assessments, dredge permitting, benthic habitat assessments, baseline studies, aquatic habitat assessments, SAV- habitat evaluations, habitat improvement and restoration. The successful candidate will oversee teams conducting sampling design, data collection and data management, statistical analyses, reporting and presentation for a variety of marine projects. The ideal candidate for this position is one that can capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec's profile and market share in the regional market (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development).
Develop, manage and support components of technical marine resource projects including:
- Senior level management of existing and new projects
- Coordinating and tracking of assignments, scopes, schedules budgets and deliverables
- Marketing and Business Development
- Proposal writing
- Contract negotiations
- Client Management/client communication
- Technical writing
- Technical direction to staff/mentoring of staff
- QA/QC of technical documents
- Support field work as needed
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Minimum of Bachelors or Masters of Science in biology, botany, ecology, wildlife biology or a related discipline from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience; which must include lead technical environmental and marine consulting to the oil and gas, energy, and transportation sectors.
- Demonstrated experience project development and management.
- Ability to develop and lead a technical proficiency on a national level
- Strong desire for business development, multi-disciplinary internal collaboration, and proposal development
- Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
- Extremely strong social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds
- Extensive experience preparing environmental assessments/ impact statements and thorough knowledge of Federal and State regulations as it pertains to coastal and offshore marine development, mitigation requirements, and resource protection.
- Strong ethical and moral responsibility
- High energy, enthusiastic and a sense of humor
- Adaptable social skills dependent on situation
- Ability to work individually and within a team setting
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top