Senior Marine Biologist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's has an immediate opportunity for a Senior Marine Biologist to work within our North Atlantic Marine Resources program. The successful candidate will direct and oversee aspects of both small and large scale multi-discipline projects with a high degree of technical complexity and a significant marine study component.
We need a dedicated professional to support our growing energy and community development practices that includes Clean Water Act 316b compliance and offshore wind, electric transmission, offshore oil and gas and port and harbor development. The position will build and maintain client relations and participate in project development and contract document preparation. The person will mentor junior-level marine biologists and other staff. The position will provide development and oversight of field study program design and implementation for marine fisheries assessments, icthyoplankton sampling, dredge permitting, benthic habitat assessments, baseline studies, aquatic habitat assessments, SAV- habitat evaluations, habitat improvement and restoration.
The successful candidate will oversee teams conducting sampling design, baseline data collection and data management, statistical analyses, reporting and presentation for a variety of marine projects. The ideal candidate for this position is one that can capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec's profile and market share in the regional market (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development).
Your Key Responsibilities
Develop, manage and support components of technical marine resource projects including:
- Project level management of existing and new projects
- Coordinating and tracking of assignments, scopes, schedules budgets and deliverables
- Marketing and Business Development
- Proposal writing
- Contract negotiations
- Client Management/client communication
- Technical writing
- Technical direction to staff/mentoring of staff
- QA/QC of technical documents
- Support field work as needed
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated experience project development and management.
- Ability to develop and lead a technical Marine service line
- Strong desire for business development, multi-disciplinary internal collaboration, and proposal development
- Willingness to travel for project work and business development opportunities
- Extremely strong social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds
- Extensive experience preparing environmental and fisheries assessments/ impact statements, 316b reports, and thorough knowledge of Federal and State regulations as it pertains to coastal and offshore marine development, mitigation requirements, and resource protection.
- Strong ethical and moral responsibility
- High energy, enthusiastic and a sense of humor
- Adaptable social skills dependent on situation
- Ability to work individually and within a team setting
Education and Experience
Minimum of Bachelors of Science in marine biology, aquatic biology, fisheries, ecology, wildlife biology or a related discipline from a recognized university. Masters preferred.
Minimum of 10 years' experience; which must include lead technical environmental and marine consulting to the energy, water, and transportation sectors.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Quincy
Other Locations: United States-Massachusetts-Northampton, United States-Massachusetts-Burlington, United States-Massachusetts-Hyannis, United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002KP
Back to top