Senior Interior Designer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
The Arlington studio of Stantec Architecture, a national leader in educational thought, design, and practice, is seeking a Senior Interior Designer to work with local and regional leadership to design great projects, grow the practice, and have a positive and profound impact on the communities we serve.
At Stantec, we believe design extends beyond the elements that define space. At its best, design shapes our lives, influences our behaviors, and lends purpose and meaning to our activities. If that resonates with you and you have a passion for educational planning and design we encourage you to submit your qualifications. Join our team of creative professionals and work with us to inspire others.
Your Key Responsibilities
A Senior Interior Designer at Stantec is a licensed professional chiefly responsible for design excellence, technical quality, project delivery and execution. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate mastery of these compulsories while at the same time having a passion for the following: mentoring the next generation of interior designers, leveraging interior design to enhance teaching and learning, instilling a sustainable mindset, and growing business through presentations, interviews, and cultivation of client relationships.
- knowledge of all aspects of interior design including space planning, programming, color and material selection, furniture selection and specification.
- collaborating with Project Managers and Project Architects to prepare internal project budgets, schedules, and work plans to ensure faithful adherence to design intent, budget, schedule, and agreed-upon work plan;
- participating in project coordination meetings with team members, contractors, and owners
- analyzing, interpreting, and applying applicable codes, regulations, and requirements;
- coordinating regulatory submissions for permits and permissions;
- collaborating with other designers to recommend materials, and details and faithfully executing the development of selected systems and details;
- utilizing REVIT to model and document projects at all phases (conceptual design through construction documentation) in all areas of the work (floor plans, elevations, sections, details, schedules, etc.);
- providing project leadership for adherence to design best practices including, importantly, principles of sustainable design;
- participating in and being accountable for the preparation of project specifications;
- participate in the bidding and negotiations phase and preparing addenda as required;
- executing contract documents during the construction phase and informing the process in order to maintain adherence to the design intent, quality standards, and contract documents;
- reviewing shop drawings and submittals, responding to requests for information, preparing observation reports, and completing other tasks associated with the construction phase;
- mentoring junior staff to increase planning, design, and documentation capacity in them and the studio;
- growing studio's base of knowledge by sharing expertise through presentations to the studio and region; and
- participating in the winning of new projects including collaborating with others to develop capture strategies, writing proposal collateral (e.g. description of quality assurance measures), interviewing with clients, and developing client relationships by participating in development meetings with clients, participating in client conferences, etc.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
As can be inferred from the list of responsibilities, s/he must be passionate about educational design; proficient in REVIT and other design/documentation software; able to faithfully execute design intent while directing others to do the same; able to effectively execute project documentation while directing others to do the same; able to apply a host of codes and regulations to a variety of project types while directing others to do the same; able to rigorously adhere to design and construction best practices including best practices in sustainable design; able to mentor junior staff and grow the professional capacity of the studio and region; and willing to collaborate with leadership to market the firm and develop business.
At his/her best, a senior interior designer at Stantec is design-oriented, task-driven, well-organized, open-minded and curious, an excellent drawer, an effective communicator, a rigorous thinker, and accountable to his/her team, firm leadership, and, ultimately, the project and client.
Education and Experience
A Senior Interior Designer at Stantec is a licensed interior designer with a minimum of 10 years leading project design, detailing, and documentation.
Professionally accredited degree in interior design, architecture, or equivalent;
IIDA/NCIDQ credentials or registered architect.
- Letter of interest, resume with list of representative projects, and sample of portfolio work.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Interior Designer
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Arlington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: MIG-34836
Back to top