Senior Geotechnical/Structural/Civil Engineer - Dams and Levees
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. When we say that we're full-service, we mean it. You'll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that's rock solid. Join our team today! Your Opportunity We are growing and are actively seeking Senior Geotechnical/Structural Engineers to support our Dam and Levee Team in the southeastern United States. Stantec's Dam and Levee Practice pursues and executes flood control, water supply, hydropower, mining and navigation projects of varying size and complexity across North America.
Your Key Responsibilities This is a senior-level position that will use their expertise and technical knowledge to lead project teams in executing technically complex dam and levee infrastructure projects from concept through construction. Projects may include various types of dams, hydropower and flood management projects, spillways, outlet works, locks, levees and floodwalls, gates, fish passage structures and other heavy civil and earthen infrastructure. This position will also assist in business development and client relations. The successful candidate will be someone with strong technical ability, industry experience, leadership skills, communication and market knowledge.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading geotechnical and structural engineering teams and providing technical direction and oversight.
- Project and/or task leadership of interdisciplinary teams of geotechnical, structural hydrologic/hydraulic and civil engineers to deliver complex engineering projects. Management of multiple projects and/or tasks.
- Project management responsibilities related to client communications, management of project budget, schedule, invoicing and reporting.
- Conducting and/or participating in inspections, engineering assessments, field studies, feasibility studies, participation in Probable Failure Mode Analyses, issue evaluations and risk assessments.
- Design and analyses of dams and other heavy civil and earthen infrastructure. Development of design/bid packages for new infrastructure, rehabilitation and mitigation of dams, levees, and locks.
- Coordination of field studies and reconnaissance, installation and analyses of instrumentation, and assessing structure behavior.
- Performing analyses, preparation of technical reports, performance of peer reviews and quality assurance/quality controls responsibilities.
- Marketing and business development activities for Stantec's Dam and Levee practice.
- Support proposal activities including development of detailed scopes of work, technical approaches, fee derivations and project execution plans.
- Leadership and involvement in related professional societies.
- Talent recruitment, retention and professional development of junior staff. Promoting a strong culture of health and safety.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong technical expertise and relevant experience with current state-of-practice for dam and levee engineering. Familiarity of engineering guidelines utilized by USACE, FERC, USBR and other agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to technically lead and deliver complex dam and levee infrastructure projects.
- Detail-oriented with experience performing technical analyses, calculations, technical reporting, and design of dam and levee infrastructure.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a passion for dam and levee related projects.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
BS with at least 10 years of professional experience in related fields. Advanced degrees are preferred.
Licensed professional engineer and ability to obtain reciprocity in required states.
Preferred Qualifications Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Geotechnical, Structural, Civil or related field. Experience as FERC Part 12B Independent Consultant
Location: - Charlotte, North Carolina - Chattanooga, Tennessee - Atlanta, Georgia
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Melina plans out every last detail of healthcare construction projects, communicating with expert consultants in areas ranging from construction techniques and materials to finishing-touch interior choices.
Back to top