Senior Geotechnical Engineer
- Lexington, KY
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a good team. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that's rock solid. We perform geotechnical studies to solve pressing infrastructure and construction rehabilitation issues. Sometimes, we break new ground with our ideas. Other times, we're bringing stability to a project. We push the boundaries as leaders and experts in our field and encourage our fellow team members to do the same. Join our team today!
Stantec's Geotechnical Engineering practice is searching for a highly motivated Geotechnical Project Manager to join their team.
The role of the Senior Geotechnical Engineer is to work independently on small and large projects, as well as a team member for more complex projects. The senior engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer solutions for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, field work, coordination of tasks and personnel, and mentoring junior staff. The projects assigned may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and experience. You will lead the analysis of proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- Maintaining and enhancing our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider.
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Establishing project objectives, procedures and performance standards, and leading multi-disciplinary teams on proposals, planning studies, feasibility through final designs, and construction services for geotechnical engineering projects.
- Identifying appropriate resources and skill sets to achieve project objectives as well as managing contract terms, tracking and managing costs and schedules, and implementing measures necessary to stay on schedule and within budget.
- Leading by example with active support of internal policies and practices, including risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Growing internal and external networks to enhance Stantec's reputation and identifying additional talent to join our team.
- Providing mentoring and training for future leaders, including development of succession plans for key positions.
- Developing client relationships to facilitate project activities.
- Promoting collaboration and teamwork across business lines and geographies.
- Serving as Engineer-of-Record on projects.
- Supervising the work of other engineers, including setting the priorities for their scope of work, their budgets and their schedules for completing the work.
- Leading project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Remaining current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- Engaging in leadership in Professional organizations that align with expertise; writing technical papers and delivering technical presentations for conference and symposium events.
- Developing project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects, and supporting marketing and business development professionals in positioning for potential projects, writing technical portions of proposals, participating in client interviews and supporting negotiations for project contracts.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Minimum 8 years relevant experience preferably for geotechnical projects in the dams, power, and transportation sectors.
- Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering, Masters a plus
- Licensed PE with the ability to obtain reciprocity in multiple states
- Experience in organizing, planning, and executing projects from pursuit through closeout, involving internal personnel, subconsultants, contractors, and vendors.
- Demonstrated successful experience in client service management.
- Demonstrated successful experience in leadership, including defining and setting the direction for a team, project, and office; strategy development; change management; and corporate stewardship.
- Demonstrated successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems.
- Strong understanding of geotechnical practices including exploration, analysis, and design and an understanding of all phases of project document production
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Travel to other offices as well as to project sites will be required.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Kentucky-Lexington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001IT
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top