Senior Geomechanical Engineer
At our core, we're a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Our Sudbury, ON Mining group has an immediate need for a Senior Geomechanical Engineer. As our Geomechanical Engineer you will work with our study teams and clients to execute geomechanical engineering activities within budget and schedule, while maintaining technical integrity. You will be reporting to the Director, Global Mining.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Plan, manage and execute underground rock mechanics studies.
- Prepare and provide oversight to geomechanical data acquisition programs.
- Provide geomechanical oversight into rock mechanics for underground mine design.
- Conduct geomechanical and numerical modelling analysis for underground excavation design and development/production sequencing.
- Provide field support to clients. Assess of ground conditions, provide design and oversight of rock reinforcement systems, conduct failure analysis of engineered mine designs and rock reinforcement products, and provide design of remediation/solutions for unstable ground conditions.
- Design and installation of monitoring systems/equipment for underground mines.
- Review third party technical documents and provide recommendations.
- Provide recommendations for various hydrology and dewatering programs.
- Experience with Open Pit geomechanical engineering is considered an asset.
- Work in compliance with Stantec and client Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure all applicable safety codes, regulations and guidelines are met by appropriate design and use of technology.
- Participate in business development and prepare technical proposals
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal abilities and willingness to work in a team atmosphere including involvement in technical business development.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of mining, mining engineering, geotechnical applications in hard rock underground mine environments.
- Ability to undertake rock slope stability analysis and design for open pit mines considered an asset.
- Ability to undertake geotechnical design for various types of underground mining methods including long hole stoping, overhand and underhand cut and fill, sublevel caving, block caving, room and pillar and others.
- Skill in researching, analyzing and communicating information of considerable difficulty and develop appropriate conclusions and actions.
- Advanced knowledge of various geomechanical software packages such as Flac 3D and the Rocscience suite of software.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally, occasionally for extended periods of time.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mine Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or related engineering discipline and eight (8) years engineering experience in hard rock mining relating to rock mechanics and rock slope stability; OR
- Master's Degree in Mine Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or related engineering or geosciences discipline and five (5) years' experience in hard rock mining relating to underground rock mechanics and rock slope stability.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Geological Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Sudbury
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: MIG-34852
Back to top