Senior Fisheries Biologist
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity The Freshwater Fisheries Team has an opportunity for an established and experienced Senior Fisheries Biologist in our Burnaby, Sidney, or Terrace, BC offices. The successful candidate will join our team of freshwater fisheries and aquatics biologists who value teamwork and enjoy the company of their colleagues.
We are also looking for a Junior to Intermediate Fisheries Biologist. Check out our other posting under Requisition ID 180001U4.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Managing, planning, and leading freshwater field programs
- Preparing technical reports and coordinating, assembling, and analyzing large freshwater datasets
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Understand recent and existing practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of fisheries, habitat and water data from streams, rivers and lakes
- Participate in Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- The successful candidate thrives in an environment with diverse and dynamic projects, and enjoys working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work.
The qualified candidate is expected to contribute leadership to the group. This includes:
- Providing supervision, training, technical direction, and mentoring to more junior staff
- Contributing to and leading business development activities, including proposals, pre-qualifications, and relationship-building with clients and prospective clients
- Interacting and interfacing with clients and environmental regulators
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills
- Project management experience
- Experience in:
- developing field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives;
- developing health and safety protocols for field programs;
- conducting fish and fish habitat assessments;
- developing environmental assessments federally and provincially, preferably in British Columbia;
- preparing Fisheries Act authorization applications and Water Sustainability Act notification and approval applications;
- collecting, assembling and analyzing data;
- developing habitat offset and restoration plans; and
- writing effectively to prepare technical reports
- Knowledge of current provincial and federal government regulatory requirements
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work with and guide clients
- Ability to manage and prioritize time when executing multiple parallel objectives.
Education and Experience A Bachelor's degree in Biology is required and a Master's degree in Biology is preferred
Registered Professional Biologist accreditation required.
Minimum of 5-10 years of experience as a fisheries biologist, with experience in freshwater systems in BC and Western Canada
Consulting experience is required
An electrofishing certificate and First Aid are required
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top