Senior Fire Protection Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Take the first step towards designing your career with Stantec. As a professional services firm we are seeking a Senior Fire Engineer and Code Compliance Specialist to complement our team. This person will work closely with local fire protection specialists and teams in Australia, the UK, and New Zealand to grow the North America Fire Protection Team. We are better together.
Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle. You are responsible for developing and implementing a fire engineering group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Conduct building and fire code reviews and analyses.
- Conduct fire and smoke modelling for buildings to develop performance-based design of smoke management and fire protection systems.
- Prepare and present technical reports and presentations.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Provides direct supervision to assigned staff; develop staff skills and abilities by providing guidance and mentoring to strengthen technical abilities
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the fire engineering group.
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Assists with Business Development activities, including proposal development, presentations, etc.
- Oversees and manages multiple concurrent projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of Building codes and NFPA standards.
- Demonstrated understanding of CFD software for smoke and fire modeling.
- Strong knowledge of fire protection systems.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting with internal and external clients.
- Strong technical writing, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD and CFD modeling software (i.e. FDS, ASCOS).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering
- Minimum of 8 years of experience.
- Registered Professional Engineer preferred, but not required.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Fire Protection Engineer
Primary Location: United States-New York-Endicott
Other Locations: United States-New York-Albany, United States-New York-Hauppauge, United States-New York-Rochester, United States-New York-New York
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900030N
Back to top