Senior Environmental Scientist
Your Opportunity Our Environmental Services group is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and proactively. We provide integrated, multidisciplinary services to identify and assess liabilities and risks, and to develop solutions to site management, remediation, and mitigation. Our staff of professionals includes specialists in marine biology, wetland science, wildlife biology, soil science, fisheries biology, botany, hydrogeology, hydrology, water resources management, forestry, habitat and ecosystem restoration, permitting, GIS, information management, environmental monitoring, in-situ/ex-situ remedial design and implementation, human health and ecological risk assessments, air quality permitting and reporting, pipeline compliance, stormwater permitting and planning, and audit support services. We are seeking exceptionally talented and enthusiastic individuals with a keen interest in the natural sciences to join our team and advance their career. In particular, we are looking for experience in environmental permitting in South Florida and someone who has established working relationships with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies and commenting agencies to obtain permits for roads, bridges, marinas, and coastal construction projects. Knowledge of South Florida ecology is a must.
Your Duties Stantec's Environmental Services Group is currently seeking a multi-skilled Environmental Scientist with over ten years of experience in the environmental consulting industry for immediate employment in our Coral Gables, FL office. The qualified candidate will be a highly motivated and dynamic individual, capable of performing contamination assessments and marine resource surveys, as well as providing environmental permitting guidance to our clients. The qualified candidate is expected to create high-quality technical reports and report figures from the analysis of field, laboratory, and web-based data. In addition, the candidate should be experienced in managing project teams that include junior staff, subcontractors, and clients. The qualified candidate will possess excellent communication and personal skills and is expected to work effectively within a project team. The candidate will also be expected to develop and maintain successful working relationships with clients and regulatory agency representatives.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Developing project cost estimates and proposals.
- Conducting contamination assessments that range from individual site assessments to corridor evaluations.
- Developing and executing contamination sampling plans to determine the nature and extent of contamination.
- Composing Reasonable Assurance Reports for Class-V stormwater injection wells.
- Conducting Phase I and Phase II Property Assessments in accordance with AAI standards.
- Collecting groundwater and soil samples in accordance with FDEP SOPs.
- Developing and completing benthic resource surveys to satisfy environmental permitting requirements.
- Developing mitigation site plans and long term mitigation monitoring plans.
- Composing technical reports for clients and regulatory agencies.
- Analyzing field data, laboratory data, and web sourced data for reporting.
- Managing staff, subcontractors, and clients during projects.
- Providing environmental permitting guidance to clients, which may require in-house support.
- Coordinating with engineers for drawing completion and readiness for permit applications.
- Working efficiently under general direction; independently determine and develop approaches to solutions.
- Preparing permit application packages.
- Interacting with internal staff, project managers, regulatory agencies, clients, and other contractors, as appropriate.
- Providing inter-disciplinary knowledge and guidance to Stantec team members to meet project and client goals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Bachelor's degree in Geology with a minimum of fifteen (15) years professional experience in the environmental consulting industry.
- State of Florida Professional Geologist (P.G.) license.
- OSHA 40-Hour Hazwoper certification with up to date 8-Hour Hazwoper Refresher
- Utility clearance and location.
- Environmental well design and installation procedures.
- Environmental drilling techniques that include mud rotary, sonic and wire line methods.
- Corporate safety and jobsite/field safety training.
- Stormwater Management Inspector certification.
- Scuba certifications that include at a minimum: Open Water, Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver by a nationally recognized Scuba certification agency.
- Diving Emergency Medical Provider (DEMP) certification.
- American Association of Underwater Scientists (AAUS) accreditation.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local environmental permitting regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal hazardous waste cleanup regulations.
- Ability to work in harsh and demanding field environments.
- Project management and project accounting training and experience.
- Excellent analytical, judgment, and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to handle the demands of multiple priorities for various clients and projects.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills; extremely proficient in technical writing; with highly effective organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be disciplined and motivated in producing high-quality results.
- Must be able to effectively interact directly with clients and local regulatory agencies in a professional manner.
- Must be proficient with MS Office applications.
- Available to travel throughout the continental United States, if needed.
- Ability to drive corporate vehicles including a full size pickup truck safely.
- May be required to complete pre-employment drug screen.
- May require working long field days outdoors, sometimes under rigorous conditions (e.g., hot and/or rainy weather, remote areas, under water, in a wide variety of habitats).
- A valid State of Florida driver's license.
- United States Homeland Security TWIC Card.
- Ability to pass federal and state background checks to obtain jobsite security clearance.
- Salary is commensurate with level of experience and qualification.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top