Senior Environmental Planner - Mining Sector
- Markham, Canada
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is focused on growing our mining sector team in central Canada. We currently provide a comprehensive suite of services to mining clients from early stage project generation, through project approvals, operations support and closure/reclamation. Our highly professional team focusses on providing tailored, innovative approaches to development and operation of successful projects based on listening carefully to our clients and integrating the tremendous mining sector knowledge and expertise of our team. We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Project Manager - Mining Sector to join our Environmental Services Team in Ontario to help us meet the growing role that our mining clients have asked us to take on.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the delivery of permitting and regulatory compliance solutions, primarily to our mining sector clients. The role could be based out of our Thunder Bay, Toronto, Markham, Mississauga, Stoney Creek, Waterloo, London, Thunder Bay, Ottawa or Sudbury offices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Development and implementation of regulatory approvals strategies for our clients that manage risk and support strong ESG performance.
- Management of mining related permits and approvals, including Environmental Assessments. Including regulatory liaison.
- Close collaboration with Stantec service lines to create integrated project solutions for clients.
- Preparation of project management plans, coordination and scheduling of project activities.
- Meeting and communication with clients, including visits to operating mine sites in remote locations.
- Implementation of Health and Safety protocols and supporting Stantec's strong safety culture.
- Preparation of concise reports, workplans and proposals using Stantec templates and quality standards.
- Management of subcontractor and suppliers.
- Budget preparation, financial tracking and reporting and invoice review.
- Execution of project quality assurance plan and quality control procedures.
- Client liaison and participation in business development initiatives.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong understanding of the mining sector, especially within Ontario and Quebec and ideally across North America. Experience at an operating industrial site would be an asset.
- Solid reputation and high level of personal and professional credibility based upon a solid understanding of the environmental aspects of the Ontario mining sector through all stages of the mining life cycle.
- Experience leading Environmental Assessments and other regulatory approvals processes for mining projects of significant size and/or complexity, ideally in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada.
- A strategic thinker capable of establishing a permitting plan with consideration of all discipline interactions during project start-up and commencement.
- Substantial previous experience working for a professional services company and a solid understanding of the support needs of mining sector clients. A focus on supporting informed decision-making is key.
- Strong leadership and business development skills, including significant experience building and maintaining productive relationships with mining clients.
- An entrepreneurial orientation with strong understanding of the key elements required to for successful business development.
- Demonstrated technical skills and, ideally, advanced educational credentials. A professional designation would be an asset.
- Strong experience liaising with government regulatory agencies at the provincial and federal levels.
- Prior experience liaising with Indigenous communities in relation to regulatory approvals processes would be an asset.
- Occasional travel required.
Education and Experience
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- University or college degree with at least 10 years professional experience, in progressively more senior positions, with substantial exposure to the mining sector. This could be with explorers, producers, or consulting service providers to the mining sector, or a combination thereof.
- Experience leading Environmental Assessments and other regulatory approvals processes for mining projects is required
- This individual may be an Environmental Scientist, Environmental Planner, Geologist, Mining Engineer, or have a background in other related multi-disciplinary areas. Experience and demonstrated ability will take precedence over academic qualifications.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Planner
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Markham
Other Locations: Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek, Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Ontario-Thunder Bay, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa, Canada-Ontario-Sudbury, Canada-Ontario-Mississauga, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 20000154
Back to top