Senior Electrical Engineer-Waterloo, Markham ON
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career. Your Opportunity You will work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project . The Engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer certain electrical power and lighting systems or products for a project. A Senior Electrical Engineer will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, and field work. The projects that a Senior Electrical Engineer may be assigned to, may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge. As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will be working on iconic and disruptive projects in the following areas: Electric vehicle (and bus) charging infrastructure; solar PV systems; Battery energy storage projects and microgrids; industrial and manufacturing energy programs; and smart city enabling infrastructure. You may be located in either the Waterloo or Markham office.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all electrical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Design and coordinate power engineering deliverable from conceptual design through detail design under the supervision of project electrical engineers including: analysis; equipment sizing and specifications; electrical design; and physical design.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Develops and manages the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Assists with the development of proposal for smaller, less complex projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- Provide design input to projects, ensuring technical accuracy and safe and functional code compliant design
- Follow all quality guidelines as set out in the company and the client's quality assurance manual
- Prepare construction work packages
- In-depth understanding of the Ontario Electricity Safety Code (OESC) and its practical application for facility and utility-scale power projects.
- Knowledge of Canadian Electrical Code (CEC).
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of National Electrical Code (NEC) is an asset
- Analysis experience with: load studies; power flow and short circuit studies; protection coordination studies; arc flash studies; motor starting; power quality; and ground potential rise (GPR), step and touch voltages.
- Understanding of equipment sizing and specifications: sizing generators, motors, generator step up transformer, generator grounding transformers, generator breakers, switchgears, MCCs, and cable.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Advanced understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD.
Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 10 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top