Senior Electrical Engineer-Renewable Energy
- San Diego, CA
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our US Power group is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to join the renewable energy team. This position can be located in any of our office locations in the US.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Apply knowledge of renewable energy systems, including solar photovoltaic (PV), Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), combustion generation, standby power and knowledge of associated microgrid design principles.
- Apply knowledge of one-line drawings, elementaries and wiring diagrams, equipment specifications (including transformers, MCC, switchgear, substation equipment); power plans, conduit plans, cable schedules, system studies and protective relay settings.
- Apply knowledge of power systems ranging from 480V to 35kV distribution and transmission systems.
- Serve as part-time resident engineer (RE) on an as needed basis and provide oversight to other RE's active on active construction projects.
- Routinely interact with, manage and serve clients
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all electrical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three-dimensional models of electrical systems and provides markups for junior engineers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various electrical phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, subcontractors and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Develops and manages the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects.
- Assists with the development of proposal for smaller, less complex projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- Participates in constructability review.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Apply knowledge of industry standards and electrical engineering design principles
- A self-starter, able to resolve engineering design issues and develop project scope documents, technical reports, cost estimates and project proposals.
- Record of successfully delivering projects on-time and on-budget, while maintaining high standards of quality.
- Familiar and working knowledge of ETAP and SKM software, including utility modeling conducting load flow analysis, arc fault and coordination studies.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills; excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written. This position will require frequent client interaction and associated documentation.
- Thorough understanding of design standards and codes common to industrial facilities.
- Ability to provide detailed power system designs for generation plants (PV, Combustion, BESS, etc.) with system voltage ranging from 120V to 35kV.
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of National Electrical Code and applicable energy codes.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means, methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project document production.
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Advanced understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office and AutoCAD.
- Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET-accredited University.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in Electrical engineering & design.
- Prior experience in consulting for an EPC contactor
- Licensed Professional Engineer (NJ PE required or ability to by reciprocity within 6 months of hire).
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Wall Township
Other Locations: United States-Utah-Salt Lake City, United States-Washington-Bellevue, United States-North Carolina-Raleigh, United States-California-San Diego, United States-Maine-Portland, United States-Colorado-Denver, United States-Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, United States-California-Sacramento, United States-Florida-Lake Mary
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001MX
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top