Senior Electrical Engineer - ( 210000G2 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
We have an opportunity in our Waterloo, ON office for a Senior Electrical Engineer in our Buildings-Industrial sector. The successful candidate will work independently, with support of the project manager, and will be responsible for the planning and designing of a variety of projects, site inspections, construction reviews, specification writing, report preparation, and drawing reviews.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate in client design and planning meetings.
- Prepare proposals and engineering estimates.
- Develop schedules, work breakdown, project tasks and project execution.
- Prepare project documents, equipment specifications and capital cost estimates.
- Control design budgets and cost control monitoring.
- Liaise and coordinate with external and internal clients to obtain and develop engineering projects.
- Prepare engineering reports, tender document packages/specifications and construction drawings/documents.
- Review designs of the electrical team to ensure all work is properly validated in accordance with Stantec Consulting Ltd. and client standards.
- Design electrical systems and controls of various building types and systems.
- Provide mentorship to an existing group of technologists and engineers.
- Work closely with clients, contractors and suppliers.
- Electrical utility distribution design and experienced with interfacing with local distribution utilities for new major electrical services and / or service upgrades and utility connections.
- Conducting coordination studies arc flash analyses.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Self-motivated with strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with NFPA codes and hazardous area classification report creation and installations.
- Utility systems design experience (Medium voltage, overhead, underground, substations and protection and control systems)
- Station grounding design experience.
- Traffic signal design experience.
- Onsite construction support experience.
- Possess a solid working knowledge of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code and applicable NFPA standards.
- Extensive experience in low voltage and medium voltage power distribution design including industrial substations, industrial protection & control systems and facility distribution systems.
- Electrical design experience in systems lighting, power distribution, emergency power generation, grounding, fire alarm, communications and security systems, control/signal systems for commercial, transportation, industrial and government facilities.
- Project management experience and possess the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills.
- Knowledge of Arc-Flash Hazard assessment and design.
- Experience with ETAP, SKM Power tools or Easypower Engineering Software
Education and Experience
A minimum of 10 years of related electrical engineering experience in the design of electrical systems for industrial and commercial clients.
Electrical Engineer designation (Ontario P.Eng required).
Green Technology knowledge or LEED certified professional is a definite asset.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Markham
Job : Electrical Engineer
Organization : BC-1615 Buildings-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 15, 2021, 1:10:31 PM
Req ID: 210000G2
Vaccine Policy: Beginning December 8, 2021, Stantec requires North America employees in many positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom a reasonable accommodation has been granted because a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, as required by law.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans