Senior Electrical Engineer
- Walnut Creek, CA
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
You will lead the design and engineering of multiple projects that range in size and complexity. As a licensed professional, you duties will include taking responsibility for project deliverables as Engineer-of-Record. You will be responsible for applying engineering knowledge, concepts and professional judgement acquired through experience to size, evaluate, select and specify electrical systems for use on assigned projects in accordance with relevant codes and standards. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include conducting field investigations, liaising with clients and/or contractors, preparing design calculations, leading the development of construction packages (drawing and specifications), estimating construction costs, and contributing to business development activities. The projects that you will be assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge, particularly in water/wastewater related projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Acts as Engineer-of-Record for projects and/or project components within areas of professional competency.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all electrical engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three-dimensional models of electrical systems
- Provides guidance, training and mentorship for junior engineers / EITs.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases of design and construction, including plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists Senior Engineers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- May lead the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized electrical elements.
- Participates in constructability reviews.
- Conducts quality assurance and implements quality control frameworks on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Works on multiple projects.
- Conducts field reviews to assess as-built conditions.
- Provides construction phase services, responds to RFIs, reviews shop drawings, and conducts reviews of construction for general conformance with design.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of electrical and building codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project, document production, and the relationship between drawings and specifications, particularly in the water/wastewater industry.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Well-versed understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, and AutoDesk products (i.e. AutoCAD) and/or Bentley products (i.e. Microstation). Familiarity with Revit is an asset.
- Experience with specialized power system software such as ETAP, SKM PowerTools, and/or EasyPower is an asset.
- Mentoring and professional development of other personnel.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 15 years of experience.
Typical office environment, working with computers and drawings for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to hazards including construction, weather, and industrial operations that may be experienced at water and/or wastewater related facilities.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Walnut Creek
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 200000U1
Back to top