Senior Electrical Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us! Your Opportunity Stantec is hiring a Technical Department Head/Project Lead Electrical Engineer to join our team in Philadelphia, PA. Your role as a senior contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on large projects of high complexity, and as a leader of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle including many exciting (health care, commercial offices, higher education, research laboratory) projects. You may lead the development of integrated proposals using your specialized knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards while leading and mentoring others and collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables. You are responsible for developing and implementing an engineering discipline group equipped with up-to-date engineering and design tools and innovations, technical and supervisory capabilities and operating procedures to successfully and efficiently execute projects and consulting services resulting in client satisfaction and on-time delivery. Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Responsible for the electrical department technical accuracy using Stantec established tools and design methods. Provides technical resources for all projects for power system design and potentially lighting and low voltage systems such as fire alarm.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all electrical equipment and distribution systems or products for a project.
- Engages and directs the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Directs the use of BIM technologies in the development of three dimensional models of building's electrical systems and provides guidance for junior engineers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various electrical phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Serve as the lead client contact and technical lead establishing project requirements, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Where assigned as a task manager on a project, help develop project design work plans and monitor the hours spent by the MEP engineering team.
- Provides direct supervision to assigned staff; develop staff skills and abilities by providing guidance and mentoring to strengthen technical abilities through professional career development opportunities.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Maintain and augment department technical resources (design standards by system, master specifications, equipment selection guidelines, design details, Revit modeling production efficiency).
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all sizes of projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
- Ongoing activity in technical societies and sector societies.
- Requisite knowledge and application of National Electrical Code, FGI Guidelines and applicable building and energy codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with AGI 32, Visual Lighting Software, SKM, ETAP, Paladin Design Base, Newforma.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top