Senior Conveyance Leader
- Denver, CO
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
In the role as Sr. Project Manager - Conveyance Lead, you will lead our Denver based regional conveyance team under the guidance of the Regional Business Leader and Conveyance Sector Leader. As a Conveyance Lead, you will be expected to demonstrate leadership by working collaboratively to grow and inspire high performance teams. Through your leadership, you will be responsible for regional conveyance market growth, managing and delivering conveyance projects while providing outstanding client/account service. You will be expected to lead conveyance pursuit teams through effective writing and preparation of proposals and leading client interviews. You will be expected to deliver technical excellence across a broad range of conveyance projects including water distribution pipelines, wastewater gravity sewers, intakes and outfalls, forcemains and siphons, open channels and aqueducts, pumping and lift stations, and water storage reservoirs/tanks.
Your Key Responsibilities
Technical Support for Project Execution & Delivery
- Lead and execute Stantec's Colorado conveyance strategy and business development functions for successful opportunity capture and growth.
- Work with leadership to organize technical teams under your leadership for future growth and success.
- Lead the conveyance team from a technical standpoint and ensure quality deliverables and client satisfaction.
- Support Regional Sector/Delivery Leaders and engage as needed in executing and delivering projects within Colorado, the region, and across North America.
- Provide technical support to Regional and Sector Leaders and engage as needed in executing and delivering projects within Colorado, the region, and across North America.
- Interpret, organize, execute and coordinate project assignments.
- Perform detailed engineering analysis and design for assigned projects, using judgment in developing and evaluating alternatives on complex projects. Develop plans and specifications.
- Develop project budgets, develop and write scopes of work, manage resources management, establish schedules, and prepare technical plans and reports.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of various reports to ensure technical accuracy and inclusion of appropriate documentation.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts and subcontracts documents and reviews and authorize changes and change orders to design and construction contracts, in collaboration with leadership.
Supervising and Mentoring of Professional Staff
- Manage specific technical areas including the supervision of project engineers and provide technical expertise to project engineers, perform analysis or review of design data, provide technical guidance on design problems, and review project engineers' work, as required.
- Serve as mentor to junior engineering staff; the candidate will engage in active mentorship of peers and young professionals who desire guidance on career development objectives. This mentoring can take any number of forms, including guidance on preparation and delivery of presentations, papers, workshops, etc., client-facing protocols, and continuing education and training.
- Conduct work in a safe manner and promote health and safety within the office.
Regional and Conveyance Sector Business Development
- Work effectively with Business Development Leadership and staff on execution of the conveyance strategy and the firm's lead generation activities.
- Provide technical support to Client Service Managers within the respective region of coverage for specific Business Development activities associated with proposal development and interview preparation and delivery, with the primary intent of winning specific project work.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact independently with Clients.
- Plan and lead face-to-face client interactions, site visits, technical training for client staff, workshop presentations on water infrastructure, planning, condition assessment, etc.
- Writing technical approaches for proposals, developing slide decks for competitive interviews and developing work-breakdown structures for project delivery.
- Seek out new work, prepare proposals, lead presentations, and negotiate new contracts and/or task orders.
- Engage in active membership in state, regional and national professional associations including, American Water Works Association, North American Society for Trenchless Technology, and others as appropriate including local affiliates within the region. This engagement entails the delivery of papers, presentations, workshops and webinars.
- Perform complex engineering design tasks on assigned projects, including engineering drawings, engineering reports and required applications to regulatory agencies, under supervision of the Conveyance Sector Leader and in collaboration with the Business Center Marketing Leader and Regional Business Leader.
- Support development of regional conveyance strategy working collaboratively with business center, regional and Sector leadership.
- Lead conveyance pursuit teams writing proposals and leading client interview to win new work.
- Develop, foster, sustain and grow strong client relationships.
- Implements understanding of conveyance system construction elements as it relates to design, to select construction methods and defining work area limits.
- Identify technical risks early in project delivery and implements risk response plan to address risk.
- Develop effective solutions and corrective actions to solve technical challenges
- Serve as Engineer-of-Record.
- Perform hydraulic system calculations, pipe design calculations, engineering reports, and design criteria.
- Conduct alternative analyses (i.e. route/alignments, pipe size and materials, etc.) to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Manage and lead other team members while working on projects; completes tasks and delegates specific project tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Prepare contract documents for construction (i.e. engineering drawings and specifications).
- Understand and implement industry standards and manuals (i.e. ASTM, AWWA, ACPA, etc.) as well as client and regulatory agency standards and requirements.
- Coordinate with environmental and permitting teams throughout the project delivery lifecycle, which requires meeting with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel and governing entities.
- Prepare portions of engineering project proposals, change orders, client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects in collaboration with Project Manager.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work with engineering staff at all levels, MS Office skills, proficient in Word and Excel.
- Proven skills in leading project teams and building relationships both internally and externally; team player and able to work with a variety of personalities.
- You should demonstrate technical design expertise and experience at least five or more of the following conveyance areas:
- Technical project leadership on water conveyance projects.
- Large diameter steel, concrete, HDPE, or fiberglass pipe for water conveyance with provisions for seismic resiliency, inverted siphons, suspended crossings, pressure regulating, venting, and flexible connections at structures.
- Condition assessment projects for water or wastewater pipelines.
- Pump station design for water conveyance.
- Water and wastewater storage reservoirs and tanks.
- Wastewater lift station and force main design.
- Stormwater outfall design.
- Pipe network modeling for water distribution.
- Repair or replacement of pipelines using trenchless technologies.
- Experience with large diameter pipelines highly preferred.
Education and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in water, wastewater, and/or water infrastructure design projects.
- Colorado Professional Engineering (PE) License required.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is the place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Colorado-Denver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 20000156
Back to top