Senior Coastal Engineer
- New York, NY
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec Consulting Services Inc., seeks a driven Senior Coastal Engineer/Project Director to join the rapidly growing Coastal Engineering practice. The candidate will be a leader and a mentor with a minimum of 10 years of coastal experience. Preferred locations are New York City, New York or Charleston, South Carolina. Other office locations as well as flexible office schedules will be considered for the right driven candidate. The Coastal Engineering group leads and supports a wide variety of coastal work across the globe.
Team members are expected to be able to contribute in several areas of coastal engineering, and be an expert or developing expert in the following areas:
- Natural Hazards and Coastal Risk
- Coastal Hydrodynamics and Morphology
- Coastal Management, Environmental Restoration, and Enhancement
Your Key Responsibilities
- Demonstrated high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport.
- Provide high level project management and leadership overseeing on-going projects throughout U.S. and potentially abroad.
- Demonstrated ability to complete complex engineering calculations and modeling for the design or analysis of projects located in coastal environments.
- Provide coastal engineering leadership at a project and task level and working with other engineering staff to complete projects.
- Plans, schedules, conducts or coordinates detailed phases of the coastal engineering work in coastal/estuarine/marine related projects.
- Performs coastal engineering design and modeling and/or reviews the design and drafting work of coastal engineers, designers or drafters.
- Prepares cost and project estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of final plans and reports and submits them for approval.
- Preparation of proposals and marketing efforts.
- Conducts or oversees personnel involved in coastal engineering investigations and planning work.
- Coordinates work with other coastal engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Plans, schedules and conducts or coordinates construction services on projects.
- Communicate effectively and apply with a high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport mechanics.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical report preparation.
- Demonstrated project experience through professional publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated fieldwork, such as reconnaissance, measurements, construction inspection, or instrument handling and deployment.
- Completing design calculations for coastal and civil engineering practice: including marine structures, rubble mound structures, geotechnical/foundation designs, hydrodynamics/fluid mechanics, drainage and flood control infrastructure, dredge/fill, and sediment disposal site designs.
- Coastal engineering analysis in support of coastal flood hazard studies under a predefined framework, specifically wave runup/overtopping analysis, and wave overland propagation analysis.
- Preparation of design plans and specifications for bidding and construction purposes.
- Construction oversight and administration duties including shop drawing approval, review of contractor surveys/progress reports, and execution of final certification(s) upon project completion.
- Application of numerical modeling tools for simulating circulation, waves, water quality, sediment transport, or mixing (e.g. HEC, ADCIRC, Delft3D, SWAN, FUNWAVE)
Education and Experience
Master of Science degree in Civil, Coastal, or Environmental Engineering with 10 years of experience with the subject matter focus on one of the areas of expertise listed above. OR
Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Coastal, or Environmental Engineering with 15 years of experience in one of the areas of expertise listed above.
Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE).
ACOPNE Certification - Diplomat in Coastal Port, Ocean and/or Navigation Engineering.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Engineer
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Other Locations: United States-South Carolina-North Charleston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001IL
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top