Senior Coastal Engineer
- Dallas, TX
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top water professionals on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has water down to a science.
Stantec's Water Resources sector is seeking a highly motivated Senior Coastal Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in Texas and help manage and deliver projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment. Stantec is a leader in the coastal engineering industry with a deep bench of expertise and our dynamic Coastal Engineering Team leads and supports a wide variety of coastal work across the US. It is an exciting time to join us as we serve our client's needs and create more opportunities for our staff's growth and development. Team members are expected to be able to contribute to the industry in an impactful way in several areas of coastal engineering and be an expert or developing expert in at least one of the following areas:
- Natural Hazards and Coastal Risk
- Coastal Hydrodynamics and Morphology
- Design and Analysis of Coastal Structures, Ports, Harbors, and Waterways
- Coastal Management, Environmental Restoration, and Enhancement
- Field Measurements, Instrumentation, Remote-Sensing
Your Key Responsibilities
As a Senior Coastal Engineer, you will be responsible for managing and delivering successful coastal projects and developing cost effective, practical coastal engineering designs and construction solutions for our clients. You will interact internally throughout the organization with staff at all levels as well as clients, members of professional organizations, subcontractors, and other firms. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work in a manner to protect the health and safety of Stantec employees, clients and the public by following company health, safety and security guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrate high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport mechanics.
- Provide high level project management and leadership overseeing on-going projects throughout the US, with a focus on Texas and the Gulf Coast.
- Demonstrate ability to complete complex engineering calculations and modeling for the design or analysis of projects located in coastal environments, such as large coastal storm risk management (levees and floodwalls) and ecosystem restoration projects.
- Provide coastal engineering leadership at a project and task level and working with other engineering staff to complete projects, including setting staff priorities for scope of work, budgets and schedules for completing the work.
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the coastal engineering work in marine related projects.
- Perform coastal engineering design and modeling and/or review the design and drafting work of coastal engineers, designers or drafters.
- Prepare cost and project estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of final plans and reports and submit them for approval.
- Prepare proposals and lead technical aspects of marketing efforts.
- Conduct or oversee personnel involved in coastal engineering investigations and planning work.
- Coordinate work with other coastal engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Plan, schedule and conduct or coordinate construction services on projects.
- Communicate effectively and apply with a high level of understanding the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport mechanics.
- Maintain and enhance our reputation with clients, approval agencies and industry professionals as an outstanding service provider.
- Remaining current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- Maintain consistently high standards of delivery, quality, flexibility, and innovation.
- Enhance the reputation of Stantec through preparation and presentation of papers at professional society conferences and seminars.
- Conduct peer and quality reviews on all applicable projects.
- Coordinate with Stantec leadership and client contacts routinely to explore future opportunities, budget planning, and staff resourcing needs.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- ACOPNE Certification preferred - Diplomat in Coastal Port, Ocean and/or Navigation Engineering.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical report preparation, as well as effective skills working in diverse team environments with staff, clients, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated project experience through professional publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated fieldwork, such as reconnaissance, measurements, construction inspection, or instrument handling and deployment.
- Completing design calculations for coastal and civil engineering practice: including marine structures, rubble mound structures, geotechnical/foundation designs, hydrodynamics/fluid mechanics, drainage and flood control infrastructure, dredge/fill, and sediment disposal site designs.
- Coastal engineering analysis in support of coastal flood hazard studies under a predefined framework, specifically wave runup/overtopping analysis, and wave overland propagation analysis.
- Demonstrated experience with preparation of design plans and specifications for bidding and construction purposes.
- Demonstrated experience with construction oversight and administration duties including shop drawing approval, review of contractor surveys/progress reports, and execution of final certification(s) upon project completion.
- Application of numerical modeling tools for simulating circulation, waves, water quality, sediment transport, or mixing (e.g. ADCIRC, Delft3D, SWAN, Mike, CORMIX).
- Skill in Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Project).
- Demonstrated successful experience in decision making, including making sound defensible business decisions; and identifying, assessing, evaluating and solving complex problems.
- Strong project management credentials, including but not limited to scoping, establishing schedules, project plan development, and routine tracking/reporting throughout project implementation.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Coastal, or Environmental Engineering with 10 years of experience in one of the areas of expertise listed above; Master of Science Degree preferred.
- Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred with ability to obtain reciprocity in multiple states.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190002XL
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top