Senior Civil Engineer/Project Manager
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
The role of the senior Civil Engineer/Project Manager is to work independently on small and large projects, as well as a team member for more complex and larger projects. The Senior Engineer/Project Manager should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, field work, coordination of tasks and personnel, and mentoring junior staff. The projects assigned may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and experience. You will lead the analysis of proposed projects to ensure reliability, resource efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Oversees and manages multiple projects. Responsible for large projects of high complexity.
- Serves as Engineer-of-Record.
- Provides technical leadership for civil related projects, including the management of existing client relationships and bringing in new clients.
- Performs on technically complex projects and acts as a technical resource by providing guidance to other team members.
- Supervises the work of other engineers, including setting the priorities for their scope of work, their budgets and their schedules for completing the work in conjunction with Project Manager(s).
- May perform or assist other Project Managers and/or Project Technical Leads with managing and monitoring financial performance of project budgets.
- Review and conduct alternative analyses to support business case evaluations for making project decisions.
- Evaluate, select, specify all civil engineered systems or products for a project.
- Manage and lead others while working on projects and developing design; assigns, reviews and evaluates work for technical accuracy and completeness; advises on technical problems.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Lead in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and cost estimating.
- Lead the preparation and coordination of project specifications with construction documents.
- Participate in constructability reviews.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Lead the development of new standards and specifications for the discipline.
- Serve as the Project's point of contact with clients, agencies and others to obtain and determine project requirements and approvals.
- Remain current on regulatory policy and rule changes and may establish working relationships with regulatory officials.
- Engage in leadership in Professional organizations that align with expertise; write technical papers and delivers technical presentations for conference and symposia events.
- Develop project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects, and support marketing and business development professionals in positioning for potential projects, writing technical portions of proposals, participating in client interviews and supporting negotiations for project contracts.
- Assist and/or lead the development of proposals and contract negotiation.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Efficient project management/technical leadership of assigned tasks on multiple concurrent projects.
- Understand client expectations, budgeting, proposal writing, and producing high quality deliverables.
- Technical expert in many relevant areas of design and understanding of various design and construction methods.
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of design and construction codes.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of the project.
- Check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Leads, participates and collaborates in project team setting and engages in creative and critical thought.
- Advanced understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Require understanding of Microsoft Office, as well as relevant discipline software programs, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, PCSWMM, StormCAD, WaterCAD, (or other modeling software).
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering.
Licensed Professional Engineer.
Minimum of 9-10 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900023F
Back to top