Senior Building Performance Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Stantec's Sustainability Building Performance team is a collaborative and creative group of multi-disciplinary professionals. We provide professional consulting services that support innovative, high-performance projects in the built environment.
Our service areas include building performance engineering, building science, energy auditing, commissioning and energy management, sustainable design, infrastructure, and community development, and resilient design strategies. We work with public and private sector clients, covering multiple project types, sectors, and locations globally.
We are seeking a highly motivated consultant with specialized expertise in building performance engineering. The successful candidate has an architecture or engineering background with a related graduate degree and five years of professional experience working in the Building Performance field.
You will work in an interdisciplinary team environment focusing on High-Performance Building Consulting; primarily providing expertise and technical support to a wide range of design projects, championing Stantec's sustainability and building performance principles and seeking to develop innovative solutions to client challenges. Experience with LEED energy modeling is required, however you will be also be working on innovative modeling and performance approaches ranging from parametric analysis to zero carbon assessments at multiple scales.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work with clients and projects teams (internal and external) to develop high-performance building objectives, metrics, frameworks and strategies appropriate to the project.
- Carry out Whole Building Energy Modeling using IES Virtual Environment, eQUEST, EnergyPlus, or Trane Trace 700.
- Carry out detailed Life Cycle Cost Analysis to guide design team decisions
- Conduct Building Energy & Water Benchmarking analysis
- Provide appropriate analysis and reporting support to project teams and stakeholders.
- Conduct detailed reviews of design documentation (drawings, plans, specs etc.) to confirm compliance with New York's building performance requirements and applicable energy codes such as Local Law 97.
- Provide building performance-related documentation for compliance with green rating systems (e.g. LEED) and / or energy codes
- Participate in Research & Development projects to identify opportunities to improve buildings performance.
- Conduct presentations to Architects and other Consultants.
- Attend team meetings.
- Participate in in-house activities.
- Assist in the growth of sustainability services in the local region.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Deep knowledge of relevant building performance / energy management codes and standards including ASHRAE 90.1.
- Deep knowledge of Mechanical System design/operation, and building science principles
- Working knowledge of building performance-related LEED credit requirements and documentation
- Project Team facilitation experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as report writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a strong attention to detail are essential.
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience presenting sustainability topics in public forums (eg industry conferences)
- Experience with CAD and/or Revit an asset.
- Preferred additional credentials include but are not limited to:
- Licensed Architect, Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or Engineer in Training (E.I.T).
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM).
- Accredited LEED AP
- Other professional certifications or licenses as appropriate to this field.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in architecture, buildings engineering, science or energy related field(s) (Graduate degree is an asset). Minimum of 5 years of experience working in the Building Performance field. Minimum of 2 years of experience directly carrying out Building Energy Modelling. Familiarity with the building performance-related credits of the LEED rating system.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Sustainability Consultant
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 2000000J
Back to top