Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields
and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We
draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed
to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and
expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top
environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the
communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a
As a Biologist, you will work in a highly dynamic team environment with other biologists/ecologists/water resource specialists, and land planning and regulatory experts. This position will include opportunities for both field and office work; it may also involve field work during construction of projects and implementation of ecosystem restoration projects. In this position, you will be responsible for the contribution and management of multi-disciplinary project teams in all phases of the execution and delivery of siting and licensing of energy production, including renewable energy, and electric and gas transmission projects, as well as natural resource planning and management projects. As a biologist/ecologist, you will oversee and provide expertise in field biology, regulatory strategy, CEQA/NEPA analysis, and permitting strategy. Specific background and expertise should consist of strong botanical, wetland, or wildlife technical expertise, familiarity and experience with regulatory permitting, and project and client management. This position requires coordination with clients, resource agencies, and environmental and technical staff. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and organizational skills are essential. This role will require overseeing all aspects of project management, biological impact assessment and mitigation strategy development, and preparation and review of biological resources documents.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Demonstrate success with research, analysis and reporting.
- Are self-starting, team-oriented professionals with excellent written and communication skills.
- Are familiar with review and analysis of scientific data, maps and drawings.
- Provide support in delivering high quality work products to Stantec's multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Have established relationships with clients and regulatory agency staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Must have a good driving record and valid drivers license
- Prior to employment, this position will require the successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Established relationships with local, state, and federal permitting agencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience leading and reviewing biological technical reports, environmental impact evaluation, siting reports, and environmental permit applications, including field surveys and reporting, and resource and impact evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience with the California and Federal Endangered Species Act consultation processes.
- Demonstrated experience conducting CEQA and NEPA analysis and preparation of associated documentation.
- Demonstrated experience leading environmental permitting of energy facilities, pipelines, and/or linear infrastructure projects in the western United States including: USACE 404 wetland permitting, CDFW 1600 Agreements and CESA permitting, RWQCB 401 certifications, and other environmental permitting.
- Demonstrated technical competence and project experience in natural resource fields applicable to commercial (primarily conventional or renewable energy generation/transmission) siting and licensing or environmental permitting of other infrastructure projects.
- Possess California-specific biology experience (minimum 8 years).
- Experience with Santa Ana sucker, California Red-legged Frogs, and special-status plants are a plus.
- Experience with and extensive knowledge of the biota in the California coast, and desert region of the US, with knowledge and experience of state and federal wildlife protection regulations and guidelines for listed species.
- Experience with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
- Experience with CPUC and/or CEC.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making capabilities.
- Master's degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology or a related field
- Possession of Scientific Collecting Permits for species listed under the federal Endangered Species Act and a State of California Scientific Collecting Permit.
- Wetland delineation training certificate.
- Experience managing projects, including cost and schedule management, proposal development, and quality.
- Experience working on construction projects.
- General understanding of geographic information systems.
- Ability to direct staff technicians regarding data collection, preparation of figures and maps, and report production.
- Ability to mentor junior staff and supervise staff.
- Business development acumen.
Education and Experience
BS or MS degree in Biology, Environmental Science, Ecology or a related field. 10 to 15 years years of experience.
This description is not a comprehensivelisting of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of theemployee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned ormay be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on
each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around
us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-California-San Bernardino
Other Locations: United States-California-San Diego, United States-California-San Luis Obispo, United States-California-Pasadena, United States-California-Long Beach, United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-California-Irvine, United States-California-Thousand Oaks
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190001BN
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top