Senior Associate, Structural Engineer- Healthcare
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future- join us!
As part of a dynamic, growing structural team, you will help lead healthcare projects with our elite award-winning interdisciplinary engineers and architectural design groups. Together we will set a new standard for excellence in healthcare delivery in California.
The Senior Associate applies buildings structural engineering principles and superior client service skills to cultivate and deliver projects that exceed expectations. The Senior Associate has overall staff management responsibility for a structural engineering project delivery team which may consist of junior project managers, designers, and CAD/Revit production staff. This individual welcomes opportunities and challenges within a project and applies consulting skills into each client interaction. The Senior Associate adds value while helping differentiate Stantec from other firms and position itself as an innovator within the industry.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Successfully manages OSHPD projects of significant scope, complexity, and revenue budget.
- Applies buildings engineering and project management knowledge while leading cross-functional resources to meet project requirements within established timeframes and budgets.
- Holds project team members accountable for deliverables.
- Meets technical, contractual, schedule, budgetary and client service objectives for each project.
- Applies strong structural engineering skills, experience and knowledge to the design and oversight of the design, for building projects.
- Manages and plans the production resources and workflow to produce the design documentation, drawings, and calculations required for structural engineering projects.
- Periodically acts as QC reviewer on projects.
- Nurtures existing client relationships.
- Proactively represents firm and pursues opportunities for new business.
- Develops and delivers client presentations.
- Collaborates with the Structural Principal on staffing, workforce planning and the hiring process.
- Shares knowledge with others by serving as a trainer and resource.
- Directly manages and mentor's others; engaging, developing, and retaining top talent.
- Occasional travel to other office and project sites in California is required and may include regional, national, or international travel.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Understanding and implementation of the principles of project management.
- Ability to manage clients, projects, fee, scope, and teams to achieve budget, schedule and deliverable objectives while meeting key stakeholder critical success factors.
- Familiarity with, and ability to produce, project-related documents and documentation standards required of a Project Manager.
- Successful history of collaboration and teaming with structural contractors on Design-Build projects.
- Ability to integrate design elements with other disciplines to deliver a coordinated design.
- Strong knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- A commanding knowledge of technical issues supporting delivered design services.
- Deep understanding and working knowledge the following building systems: steel framing including lateral systems for seismic (braced frames, BRBF, SPSW, etc.), concrete framing including lateral systems for seismic (shear walls and moment frames)
- Strong knowledge of healthcare, specifically OSHPD-1 and OSHPD-3 buildings, and/or life science communities.
- Ability to apply sustainable design principles within projects.
- Strong client communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply logic, reasoning, and organizational skills to structural concepts and ideas into projects.
- Ability to manage, motivate, coach and direct staff of varying levels and skillsets.
- Functional knowledge of recent versions of Revit.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Excel, Bluebeam, ETABS, SAP2000, RAM, and SAFE.
Education and Experience
Masters' degree in related field plus 12 years related project management, client consulting and people management experience; 9 years of experience with delivering OSHPD healthcare projects. California Professional Engineering (PE) and California Structural Engineering (SE) license required. Project Management Professional certification and LEED AP Credential a plus.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Other Locations: United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-California-San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001YW
Back to top