Senior Architectural Technologist/Job Captain
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
Your role as a senior (Job Captain/Senior Arch. Tech) contributor on our professional Architecture team is to work independently to assist clients through the planning and creation of fiscally responsible, award-winning designs. Your experience ensures that you are quite familiar with construction plans, specifications, estimates and building codes. You will be innovating and creating new prototypes designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals. You will lead the development of integrated design proposals, continuous updating of a building information model, preparing a variety of output / drawings throughout the project, while leading and mentoring others and collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables as required under instruction from the Project Leader.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Advocates and inspires creativity, critical thought and technical excellence both internally and externally.
- Assists in identification, recruiting, and interviewing of technologist staff at all levels.
- Fosters collaboration between offices while promoting and providing design vision as it relates to building technology and systems.
- Acts as a mentor, teacher and coach to design staff with the goal of growing and guiding them through their careers.
- Evaluates the quality of technical design and activities and assure a high level of technological quality throughout the firm.
- Participates in performance reviews including setting of job goals.
- Assists in production of design award submissions.
- Engages staff in discussion on technology and building systems to ensure process is followed and influences usage of technological tools.
- Acts as a vehicle for the delivery of firm's message on building technology and systems.
- Expresses philosophy of the work with appropriate vocabulary.
- Ambassador and steward of the firm's portfolio of work with ability to guide and educate others.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the work throughout the life of the project to successfully deliver the project to the client.
- Leads project coordination and owner/site meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor and sub-contractors.
- To participate in project team setting, strong communicator and team leader.
- To lead several teams on large complex projects through the development of design concept.
- To receive criticism and respond appropriately and professionally.
- Inspire confidence and garner trust and respect with the project team and with clients.
- Provide a balanced approach and good judgement.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Scale process, design and effort to various roles on the project, the needs of the project, and other conditions.
- Interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Understanding of historical values and context.
- To exhibit maturity and cultural awareness internally and externally.
- Extensive knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Bluebeam, SketchUP, Newforma.
Education and Experience
- Technical diploma in Building or Architectural Technology or equivalent in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum 10 plus years of experience.
- Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Building Technologist/Technician
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003MW
Back to top